This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

it boggles my mind why people would want to discredit religion

#1Flame Dragon LordPosted 7/18/2011 2:30:18 PM
I agree that if you look at things scientifically then faith is somewhat absurd (despite a possible placebo effect) but I don't understand why people would want to take scientific reasoning and point it at belief in god for no other reason than to discredit religion. Faith in a higher power is such a noble virtue, and even if you don't have any i can't imagine why you would frown upon someone else having it.

This post is what generated this topic, from the pick one person to send to meet aliens topic.

"The Dalai Lama is not a good pick. He might be a good guy and certainly educated but you can't get around the fact that his belief system and claim to power are absurd and would be an embarrassment to show to any intelligent space faring race."

People really think brilliant space traveling aliens would look at the ****ing Dalai Lama and consider him an embarrassment.

It seems like people have it in their heads that only science or religion can be right, and it might be very easy for the atheists among you to realize that the religious people who deny science are idiots, but i would say that anyone who completely denies religion is also an idiot. I dont exactly mean denying it as your own belief, but denying that it is a respectable belief.
---
get a sig
#2waferbreadPosted 7/18/2011 2:38:05 PM
Faith in a higher power is such a noble virtue

Back this up, or this topic is useless.
---
...but otherwise empty. No planets, no meteorites.
If anything, perhaps fine dust clouds of exploded music
#3BtVSFanPosted 7/18/2011 2:42:03 PM
Faith in a higher power is such a noble virtue

No... No it isn't. Where are you getting that idea?

It's not a virtue or a vice, it's a neutral characteristic.
---
Uwe Boll makes terrible movies. Anyone who tells you otherwise is Uwe Boll - Seanbaby
http://theanteheroes.com/AceAttorneys/DamonGant.png
#4kozlo100Posted 7/18/2011 2:47:03 PM
but i would say that anyone who completely denies religion is also an idiot.

Why do you want to discredit the people who want to discredit religion? I think if you can answer that, your mind might be a little less boggled on the subject of why people do this kind of thing.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#5Flame Dragon Lord(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2011 2:57:12 PM
how could anybody disagree that faith is a virtue? it takes immense humility and empathy to submit yourself to a celestial higher power or authority.
---
get a sig
#6Heineken14Posted 7/18/2011 2:59:34 PM

People really think brilliant space traveling aliens would look at the ****ing Dalai Lama and consider him an embarrassment.

I don't know, maybe they actually would? Who are you or I to to say what they may or may not think, as... you know... we don't know any brilliant space traveling aliens...
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
#7OrnitierIXPosted 7/18/2011 3:01:23 PM
I agree that if you look at things scientifically then faith is somewhat absurd (despite a possible placebo effect) but I don't understand why people would want to take scientific reasoning and point it at belief in god for no other reason than to discredit religion.

The Intelligent Design movement is actually seeking to discredit religion?

I knew it!
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#8BtVSFanPosted 7/18/2011 3:01:34 PM
how could anybody disagree that faith is a virtue? it takes immense humility and empathy to submit yourself to a celestial higher power or authority.

No it doesn't. I mean, people who are religious can be humble and empathetic, but they can just as easily be arrogant and emotionally cut off.
---
Someone's carryin' a bullet for you right now, doesn't even know it. The trick is, die of old age before it finds you - Mal
http://i36.tinypic.com/23yqa.jpg
#9almasbabyPosted 7/18/2011 3:02:24 PM
Flame Dragon Lord posted...

How does it take empathy? And I'm not sure it takes a great deal of humility either. There are plenty of people who believe in God who don't have a humble bone in their body.
#10OrnitierIXPosted 7/18/2011 3:07:21 PM
As an outsider looking in, faith really just looks like stubbornness. "I'm going to believe this and nothing you say is going to stop me" sort of thing.
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...