This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

it boggles my mind why people would want to discredit religion

#41lmpossiblePosted 7/23/2011 7:50:02 PM
Faith means maintaining a belief in denial of all evidence. That's not a virtue. Nothing about it makes you a good person.

People want to weaken religion because they don't want their lives to be influenced by the irrational beliefs of others. Unfortunately, religion has a huge influence on laws and government even in many countries with a supposed separation of church and state. That's what atheists are fighting to change.
---
I like having low self-esteem. It makes me feel special.
#42MrTamborineManPosted 7/23/2011 7:59:05 PM
Faith means maintaining a belief in denial of all evidence.

Show me evidence against a god/gods.
---
"When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind"
Pittsburgh Pirates 47-43
#43lmpossiblePosted 7/23/2011 8:48:37 PM(edited)
Religion and belief in a god are not the same thing. There is plenty of evidence against the claims of religion and religious texts, and more importantly, there is zero evidence in favour of any of it - which is why it is called faith. Believing things without evidence is not virtuous, it's irrational.

Also, the observable state of reality provides plenty of evidence against the idea of an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent god. Or if there is one, he's a total ass.
---
#44MrTamborineManPosted 7/23/2011 8:55:17 PM
Also, the observable state of reality provides plenty of evidence against the idea of an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent god. Or if there is one, he's a total ass

Simply because there are things in the world that displease us does not provide any evidence against a god/gods.
---
Pittsburgh Pirates 47-43
#45lmpossiblePosted 7/24/2011 4:59:31 AM
No, I merely meant that if said god/s exist, they clearly don't give a s*** about human suffering.
---
#46anavriNPosted 7/24/2011 7:28:03 AM
Simply because there are things in the world that displease us does not provide any evidence against a god/gods.

But it does provide a case against a benevolent, omnipotent god. That's why some religions need to go at great length to explain why there is suffering in the world.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#47MrTamborineManPosted 7/24/2011 5:26:22 PM
Impossible II posted...
No, I merely meant that if said god/s exist, they clearly don't give a s*** about human suffering.

Ahh, I see. My bad.
---
Pittsburgh Pirates 47-43
#48Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 7/24/2011 5:46:23 PM
I don't understand why people would want to take scientific reasoning and point it at belief in god for no other reason than to discredit religion.
I don't have a problem with religion unless it tries to impose its morals on me without any logical reasoning behind it or it tries to make factual claims without any logical/scientific backing.

---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#49the final bahamutPosted 7/24/2011 6:51:04 PM

yes it does. why is it that all the rebellious nutjobs are all still in high school and wearing Rage against the Machine shirts?

Because they're 16 and therefore idiots? It can't be helped, you know, when you're 16 you're an idiot regardless of how smart you are. I should know, I was 16 and an idiot once.

Anyway, you still haven't said hoe being 16 and the sort of idiot who wears Rage against the Machine shirts has anything to do with atheism, humility or empathy.
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.