This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does God punish us?

#1USS_PosterPosted 7/18/2011 6:11:53 PM
Did god have his hand in hurricane Katrina, and if so was it because of all the gay people living there?
---
I feel like going down to central LA, or wherever it is, and telling them "Hey you owe me money because I've been paying into your **** for 10 years!"
#2USS_Poster(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2011 6:12:12 PM
I am not taking either sides, but is this the belief?
---
I feel like going down to central LA, or wherever it is, and telling them "Hey you owe me money because I've been paying into your **** for 10 years!"
#3DoGCyNPosted 7/18/2011 6:22:10 PM
No one is able to say yes or no "accurately" in what you're asking. I would say, at this point in time, God punishes the guilty after death. The guilty being those who have not accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior into their lives.

The others that have accepted Jesus Christ (as Lord and Savior), and are still alive, can be disciplined by God, but not punished.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#4chukie_suePosted 7/18/2011 6:26:52 PM(edited)
Yes, Hebrews 12 affirms that God disciplines. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+12:7-13&version=NIV

7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10 They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

12 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13 “Make level paths for your feet,”[a] so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.

Hurricane Katrina could have been discipline, but I suspect it would have been forewarned with prophetic words, or distinguished form natural disasters in some way.

I would say, at this point in time, God punishes the guilty after death.

This as well. Unequivocally so in my opinion.
---
A mighty hand, an outstretched arm - You are the God who saves, Deliverer Your name.
#5DoGCyNPosted 7/18/2011 6:28:50 PM
Just to clarify... I take punishment and discipline as 2 different things. :P

Punishment being the ...well.. "punishment" for sin, and discipline being something to help grow us up and help us learn.
---
#6OrangeWizardPosted 7/18/2011 6:37:44 PM
No

"...Nor with evil does [God] try anyone"
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#7fudrickPosted 7/18/2011 6:41:53 PM
DoGCyN posted...
Punishment being the ...well.. "punishment" for sin, and discipline being something to help grow us up and help us learn.

By your definitions punishment seems like something only an evil god would do. Just my opinion.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#8DoGCyNPosted 7/18/2011 6:44:00 PM
By your definitions punishment seems like something only an evil god would do. Just my opinion.

So sorry you think that. :(
---
#9fudrickPosted 7/18/2011 6:47:51 PM
DoGCyN posted...

Can you explain how tormenting someone with no intent to improve the person or anything like that is not evil?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#10sith_acolyte15Posted 7/18/2011 7:48:52 PM
fudrick posted...
DoGCyN posted...

Can you explain how tormenting someone with no intent to improve the person or anything like that is not evil?

The response to this will probably go something like this:

"God doesn't do evil things. Therefore anything God does cannot be evil."
---
This is the Internet; you can't use popularity to prove something is good unless it's something I actually like.