This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The idea of the multiverse and religion

#1OnceInALifeTimePosted 7/20/2011 10:17:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qmbl7mpJQ&

What's your take on this? It would be incredible if this was confirmed in the next few years.
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#2Faust_8Posted 7/20/2011 11:33:06 AM
It would be...but I don't exactly know what repercussions it would have, besides religious ones.

I mean, it's not exactly like my daily life will change if we found out definitely that there are other universes. After all, isn't it impossible to interact with those universes?
---
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#3PatriotwolfPosted 7/20/2011 11:34:14 AM
Very interesting video. The video states 2011 as the year for LISA. Any update on this?
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#4OnceInALifeTime(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2011 11:59:41 AM
NASA dropped out, leaving it to the European Space Agency to complete, which will be done either in 2016 or 2022 iirc.

And Faust 8, it might seem like it would affect your life, but it would certainly bring us closer to answering questions of our origins. Many people would also say quantum mechanics doesn't contribute to everyday life, but using quantum mechanics companies are know developing uncrackable safes and other devices. The impact could well be limitless.
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
#5fudrickPosted 7/20/2011 4:18:30 PM
It's not like religious people would suddenly accept it. Lots of them deny enough facts already in order to keep their beliefs.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#6GuideToTheDarkPosted 7/20/2011 4:46:25 PM
One group of them does. The other accepts new facts and tries to reinterpret the bible around it.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#7fudrickPosted 7/20/2011 4:49:57 PM
GuideToTheDark posted...
One group of them does. The other accepts new facts and tries to reinterpret the bible around it.

First of all, I wasn't aware there are only two groups of religious people <.< Second, you may have misread but I did say that "lots" of them do that, not all.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#8GuideToTheDarkPosted 7/20/2011 4:54:53 PM
I'm not saying there's only two demonimations, groups can be part of separate, smaller or larger groups. Actually, the term "category" works better. Potpourri for 500, please.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#9fudrickPosted 7/20/2011 4:58:35 PM
I feel that reconciling the multiverse with the bible could be just as difficult as reconciling evolution with the bible. I realize some people manage to do this but they throw out a lot of the bible in the process.
---
Best FCs:
#10OnceInALifeTime(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2011 1:36:44 AM
What fudrick said. Evolution isn't accepted by a majority of religious people in the US, how do you think the multiverse would be treated? It would be such a massive discovery, and yet I feel like the religious of the world would downplay it or even dismiss it. Really sad when you think about it.
---