This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians: Do you believe in hell?

#1DoGCyNPosted 7/20/2011 1:03:38 PM(edited)
If yes/no...then why/why not?

Please use Scripture.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#2OrangeWizardPosted 7/20/2011 2:03:05 PM(edited)
No, because the bible doesn't teach that it is a place that exists, and the very word isn't found in the original languages.

When translating proper nouns to a different language you keep the pronunciation. Hell is not how you pronounce Sheol, Hades, or Gehennah. Hell comes from false religion, in an attempt to mesh pagan worship and Christianity together in order to appeal to more pagans. They also did this with the Trinity, the Cross, and other things.

And there is no scripture that says "Hell does not exist", because Sheol, Gehennah, and Hades all do exist, but none of them are firey places of torture.

Oh, yeah, and at Eccl 9:5 it says that the dead are conscious of nothing

And I'm really not prepared to debate this or go into more depth, so please excuse me.

Also, when you are Helling potatoes, you're burying them, not roasting them.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#3WhereDidItGoPosted 7/20/2011 1:53:03 PM
Yes, although I don't usually speculate on what it will be. All that I'm content to say on the matter is it is eternal separation from God and that I believe that separation, when truly experienced, will be the extreme detriment to the human soul.
---
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. "
St. Francis of Assisi
#4RetrotasticPosted 7/20/2011 2:27:53 PM
I figure kll religions have some kind of hell but it isn't always eternal. The Bible itself doesn't say very much about what it entails, some references to the outer darkness.
#5chukie_suePosted 7/20/2011 3:06:01 PM
Yes, I think it exists. But not necessarily for an eternal duration.

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles/hell.html

http://bible.org/article/what-bible-says-about-hell

(1) Everyone will exist eternally either in heaven or hell (Daniel 12:2,3; Matthew 25:46; John 5:28; Revelation 20:14,15).

(2) Everyone has only one life in which to determine their destiny (Hebrews 9:27).

(3) Heaven or hell is determined by whether a person believes (puts their trust) in Christ alone to save them (John 3:16, 36, etc.).

Key Passages About Hell
(1) Hell was designed originally for Satan and his demons (Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:10).

(2) Hell will also punish the sin of those who reject Christ (Matthew 13:41,50; Revelation 20:11-15; 21:8).

(3) Hell is conscious torment.

Matthew 13:50 “furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth”
Mark 9:48 “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched”
Revelation 14:10 “he will be tormented with fire and brimstone”
(4) Hell is eternal and irreversible.

Revelation 14:11 “the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night”
Revelation 20:14 “This is the second death, the lake of fire”
Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”

http://www.helltruth.com has some interesting input on Annihilationism. This doesn't mean Hell doesn't exist, but that man is eventually destroyed.
---
A mighty hand, an outstretched arm - You are the God who saves, Deliverer Your name.
#6OrangeWizardPosted 7/20/2011 3:22:18 PM
Death and Hades are thrown into the lake of fire. Does this mean that it's a Russian Doll of torture? Death, being a suspended boiling pot, roasting inside of Hades, roasting inside the lake of fire?
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#7fudrickPosted 7/20/2011 5:15:18 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
Death and Hades are thrown into the lake of fire. Does this mean that it's a Russian Doll of torture? Death, being a suspended boiling pot, roasting inside of Hades, roasting inside the lake of fire?

It wouldn't be the craziest thing you believe in if you accepted this.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#8CIA911Posted 7/20/2011 6:20:56 PM
I do. And it's the GameFaqs Religion Board.
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#9Burning_WolfXPosted 7/20/2011 7:37:54 PM
Yes. The Bible, Jesus and the earliest Christians are quite clear about it.
---
Proud member of the Valiant Brawlers. Brawl code: 3050-9471-7656
Currently playing: Brawl, Okami
#10SirThinkALotPosted 7/20/2011 7:45:31 PM
No, although my own beliefs are tied up with my belief in the physicality of the final ressurection and the non-existance of souls indipendent of hte body.
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot