This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do many Christians talk down on stuff like homeopathy?

#11kozlo100Posted 7/20/2011 2:34:41 PM
If they fully understood and accepted the foundation of their beliefs, they would be more open minded.

This implies that you know these people well enough to have a fairly full understanding of what goes on in their heads, and what their personal standards and convictions are. Are you comfortable making that implication?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#12Diranosaur(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2011 2:37:36 PM
kozlo100 posted...
If they fully understood and accepted the foundation of their beliefs, they would be more open minded.

This implies that you know these people well enough to have a fairly full understanding of what goes on in their heads, and what their personal standards and convictions are. Are you comfortable making that implication?

I'm sorry, replace my would with "should".
---
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
Mandolin - Flute - Bouzouki/Nyckelharpa - Guitar
#13kozlo100Posted 7/20/2011 2:43:14 PM
That's not the word on which my statement hung. Rather "If they fully understood and accepted the foundation of their beliefs" is the part of the quote which makes the implication.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#14Diranosaur(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2011 2:52:11 PM
kozlo100 posted...
That's not the word on which my statement hung. Rather "If they fully understood and accepted the foundation of their beliefs" is the part of the quote which makes the implication.

Well, if they understood and accepted that their belief is based on nothing but a book and personal stories, then they should be more open minded to other beliefs based on similar things. If they don't understand it, they're brainwashed. If they don't accept it, they're lying to themselves.

Now, instead, could maybe you give your opinion on the question I posed?
---
#15kozlo100Posted 7/20/2011 2:57:08 PM
Well, if they understood and accepted that their belief is based on nothing but a book and personal stories, then they should be more open minded to other beliefs based on similar things.

You're claiming some very deep things about these people. Specifically what their most personal beliefs are based on, and how much they understand and accept them. There's one, maybe two or three people in my whole life I could claim such a thing about. I'm curious as to how you feel so confident you can know that about the folks we're discussing here.

Now, instead, could maybe you give your opinion on the question I posed?

They feel they have sufficient compelling evidence for one and not for the other. Simple as that.
---
#16Diranosaur(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2011 3:06:42 PM(edited)
kozlo100 posted...
You're claiming some very deep things about these people. Specifically what their most personal beliefs are based on, and how much they understand and accept them. There's one, maybe two or three people in my whole life I could claim such a thing about. I'm curious as to how you feel so confident you can know that about the folks we're discussing here.

They feel they have sufficient compelling evidence for one and not for the other. Simple as that.

They're Christians. They believe in Christianity. Christianity is based on a book. Some people also base their faith on personal stories like "I prayed and then I was healed". It's not exactly something very deep to tell about them...

But they don't have compelling evidence for Christianity, as there is none. Most Christians I've met know this. It's why it's called "faith" and not "knowledge".
---
#17GuideToTheDarkPosted 7/20/2011 3:37:39 PM
For one, homeopathy is falsifiable.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#18fudrickPosted 7/20/2011 3:42:33 PM
It seems like they should be more willing to accept that other things that lack evidence are true, but in fact in most cases it seems to be the opposite. Religious people are often less likely to accept the possibility that other ideas could be accurate than nonreligious people.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#19RetrotasticPosted 7/22/2011 1:00:55 AM
Homeopathy is kind of like witchcraft I suppose, or its science or both. Either way its no good.
#20GuideToTheDarkPosted 7/22/2011 1:06:26 AM
You insult the Science God with such words.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.