This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do analogies actually add something to debates?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do analogies actually add something to debates?

User Info: Faust_8

Faust_8
5 years ago#11
Sometimes I see analogies as the only possible way to explain things to some people...

They say something utterly ridiculous and you need to give them a similar analogy in order for them to actually see how ridiculous you sound to them.

As long as people know that the RELATIONSHIP between A-B and C-D is all that matters, and not that A has to equal C, then there doesn't have to a debate on whether it's a good analogy or not.
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
5 years ago#12
GuideToTheDark posted...
I intended to make you groan and/or lol, but you did it to me instead.

Do you know what anal means?

The "correct" term would be "analology".
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

User Info: SirThinkALot

SirThinkALot
5 years ago#13
analogies are useful to clarify/explain a poinot. Oftentimes its hard to grasp a broad point, but easier to grasp a more specific example/illustration.

However, it is posssible to put too much emphasis on an analogy, its helpful to remember they are not, in themselves, arguments.
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot

User Info: anavriN

anavriN
5 years ago#14
I can clearly see the appeal when teaching, anyhow, as it helps understand a subject by being shown an analogous, more common situation. But for actual arguments between two person, the appeal seems less obvious.

I fully agree with this.
An analogy (properly used) is a wonderful way to illustrate a point, but it never proves one.
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do analogies actually add something to debates?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived