This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do analogies actually add something to debates?

#11Faust_8Posted 7/20/2011 5:54:52 PM
Sometimes I see analogies as the only possible way to explain things to some people...

They say something utterly ridiculous and you need to give them a similar analogy in order for them to actually see how ridiculous you sound to them.

As long as people know that the RELATIONSHIP between A-B and C-D is all that matters, and not that A has to equal C, then there doesn't have to a debate on whether it's a good analogy or not.
---
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#12OrangeWizardPosted 7/20/2011 6:04:25 PM(edited)
GuideToTheDark posted...
I intended to make you groan and/or lol, but you did it to me instead.

Do you know what anal means?

The "correct" term would be "analology".
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#13SirThinkALotPosted 7/20/2011 7:43:31 PM
analogies are useful to clarify/explain a poinot. Oftentimes its hard to grasp a broad point, but easier to grasp a more specific example/illustration.

However, it is posssible to put too much emphasis on an analogy, its helpful to remember they are not, in themselves, arguments.
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot
#14anavriNPosted 7/21/2011 8:20:12 AM
I can clearly see the appeal when teaching, anyhow, as it helps understand a subject by being shown an analogous, more common situation. But for actual arguments between two person, the appeal seems less obvious.

I fully agree with this.
An analogy (properly used) is a wonderful way to illustrate a point, but it never proves one.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.