This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Devil and Daniel Webster.

#1FoxTheSwiftPosted 7/21/2011 12:19:47 PM
So I just watched this movie, its actually really great, probably the best portrayal of the devil I've seen, which is especially impressive since its such an old movie. What's your favorite portrayal?
#2Cubbiesboy22Posted 7/21/2011 12:26:51 PM
Mark Pellegrino in Supernatural season 5. Very paradise lost like characterization.
#3OrangeWizardPosted 7/21/2011 1:17:04 PM
FoxTheSwift posted...
So I just watched this movie, its actually really great, probably the best portrayal of the devil I've seen, which is especially impressive since its such an old movie. What's your favorite portrayal?

What do you mean by "best"?
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#4mercuryinkPosted 7/21/2011 1:37:53 PM(edited)
Martin Brodeur is the greatest Devil EVER.

Erm... I dunno.
Ah, the Robot Devil from Futurama.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#5Heineken14Posted 7/21/2011 2:01:14 PM
Tim Curry in Legend!
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
#6FoxTheSwift(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2011 2:45:02 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
FoxTheSwift posted...

What do you mean by "best"?

I'm not a Christian, so if you are implying some shock or blasphemy, you might as well drop the game Orange =P

If you just mean from an artistic standpoint, I think the portrayal is the best for several reasons. The devil here is threatening and mischievous, but also quite affable. (Obvious spoilers about the movie to follow) The portrayal doesn't fall into the same trap of most pseudo-Christian Satan based movies in making the devil get angry at the end over losing, but he still retains a characteristic pettiness. Generally, its just a really charming, folklorish portrayal and that's what makes it so enjoyable to me. Its always fun to watch him on the screen and you end up liking the character in spite of him doing all these terrible things.
#7mercuryinkPosted 7/21/2011 3:03:55 PM(edited)
You know, I read this after I read the story upon which it was based (Devil and Tom Walker, which in turn was based on Faust), but haven't yet watched the movie. I did see the Treehouse of Horror that spoofed it, but that hardly counts. It's supposedly one of the greatest fantasy films ever, so I should probably get on that.

which is especially impressive since its such an old movie.
That might actually be why it's so effective. It's easy to make a formidable devil-figure with a massive SFX budget. To create one as a true character, as in, to have him be defined by words and actions directed at the other characters, instead of by his funky bat wings and thousands damned souls in the background, is more difficult, but certainly has a greater emotional payoff for the audience.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#8SirThinkALotPosted 7/21/2011 3:39:34 PM
Al Pachino in the Devils Advociate
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot
#9Giacomo_HawkinsPosted 7/21/2011 4:38:13 PM
Rosalinda Celentano in The Passion of the Christ
---
Will the little voice in the back of my mind screaming "This is a bad idea" please yield the floor. --Mikey
Chivalry be hanged, and so will you.
#10CapoMafiaPosted 7/21/2011 5:31:55 PM
Whoever was gonna play John Galt in the Atlas Shrugged movies.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/Butch_Deadlift