This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Religion Board Poll

#61PrincessAlthenaPosted 7/23/2011 7:28:06 PM
Religious Beliefs: Pagan
Current Age: 22
Age you developed your current beliefs: I've been wrestling with the idea of Paganism since I was about 14 but I didn't become serious in my study until the age of 18 when I found someone who was of similar mind.
Regular Poster or Lurker: Lurker, hoping to change that.
#62CIA911Posted 7/23/2011 7:29:40 PM
You're a Christian.

No. You are not a Christian unless you are a true follower of Christ, someone who has been Born Again by God, which you only are if you have the Holy Spirit inside of you. Because if you don't, you are none of his, and that's how it's described in the Bible. What people believe...unless they are Born Again, doesn't make them a Christian. It might by a "dictionary definition", but that's simply not what it is in the Bible. I believe in the Bible and Jesus, but I do not have the Holy Spirit inside of me, therefore, I am not a true follower of Christ, or a Christian. I would feel ashamed calling myself one. It may be fine for other people, but not for me. So I coined the term "Bibleist" for me.
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#63anavriNPosted 7/23/2011 7:42:19 PM
I believe in the Bible and Jesus, but I do not have the Holy Spirit inside of me, therefore, I am not a true follower of Christ, or a Christian.

I am curious why you believe in the Bible, but do not follow Jesus. I though this option was only open to staunch anti-christians.
Do you not want to have the Holy Spirit in you, or do you think that this is not possible for you right now?
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#64CIA911Posted 7/23/2011 7:58:21 PM(edited)
I am curious why you believe in the Bible, but do not follow Jesus. I though this option was only open to staunch anti-christians.

I believe in Jesus. But I do not have the Holy Spirit inside of me. Even if I wanted really badly to be a follower of Christ, I simply can't be until I receive the Holy Spirit. If you have the Holy Spirit in you, then are you a true follower of Christ.

Deutoronomy 4:29 -

But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

So we are to seek God with ALL of our heart and all of our soul. But that is an impossibility because the Bible tells us about the condition of the heart of the unsaved individual. Let's read Jeremiah 17:9 -

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

And Mark 7: 21 - 23

For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:

All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

So you see, it is not possible to seek God with all of our heart unless he gives us a new heart. Then are we able to. And when does God give us a new heart ? When we are Born Again. As we read in Ezekiel 36: 25-27

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

I do not have the new heart or the new spirit yet, so I cannot seek God with all of it, or be a true follower of Christ. No one can. Even if they tried their hardest...it doesn't matter...because they have a stony heart. People can call upon him, but not with all of their heart. Once they do, they have already been saved. I can call upon him, but not with all of my heart yet.

Do you not want to have the Holy Spirit in you, or do you think that this is not possible for you right now?

Of course I want to. But it doesn't work like that.

But let's not derail this into an argument. It's just a poll. And I provided my answers. And...that's it.

---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#65ledzepfan15Posted 7/23/2011 8:56:37 PM(edited)
So how can you tell if you have the holy spirit in you or not? How would you know?
---
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro
#66AzardeaPosted 7/24/2011 8:54:31 AM
Religious Beliefs: Atheist
Current Age: 16
Age you developed your current beliefs: Around the age of 10
Regular Poster or Lurker: Lurker
---
^Post is up there^
#67anavriNPosted 7/24/2011 8:59:06 AM
So you see, it is not possible to seek God with all of our heart unless he gives us a new heart. Then are we able to. And when does God give us a new heart ? When we are Born Again.

Sounds like a Catch-22.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.