This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

God wants Governor of Texas to be President

#1almasbabyPosted 7/22/2011 5:11:25 AM
That's two now. We know who the first was. Rick Perry is the latest politician to claim God is calling him to run for President. For me, that automatically removes him from my list of prospects for The Office. But Perry must believe it's a sure fire vote getter. And maybe, sadly, it is.
#2OnceInALifeTimePosted 7/22/2011 5:24:21 AM
Wait, so if two say god told them to run for president aren't they just going to look even more idiotic when neither of them get in?
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#3almasbaby(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2011 5:30:12 AM
Well, one of them already did get in. And look at us now. You wonder if God doesn't have it in for 'Merica.
#4OzymandiasIVPosted 7/22/2011 11:33:25 AM
I wish someone would say they were going to run for the Presidency because they want to shoulder the responsibility for doing everything they can to improve this country and, in effect, help improve the world. I don't want someone in the White House just because God said they wanted that person there. I also don't get why God would tell someone they wanted him in the White House; why not just make it happen?
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#5_FalstaffPosted 7/22/2011 1:27:34 PM
Even if they are being called by God, that doesn't necessarily mean that they have to win the presidency. Granted, if that was what I felt I had to do, I would certainly take it seriously and at least attempt to win, but there are also many things to be learned in competing and losing.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#6JigglysaintPosted 7/22/2011 1:38:22 PM
"I wish someone would say they were going to run for the Presidency because they want to shoulder the responsibility for doing everything they can to improve this country and, in effect, help improve the world. I don't want someone in the White House just because God said they wanted that person there. I also don't get why God would tell someone they wanted him in the White House; why not just make it happen?"

See, I would hope that if somebody does feel that God calls them into the Whitehouse, it's because they are called to "shoulder the responsibility for doing everything they can to improve this country and, in effect, help improve the world" like you said.

I think the problem is the language used to convey the desire to pick up that mantle and try to set things right. People should be careful to say they are called by God, because that first of all does little for the separation of church and state issue, and second, it alienates people who may agree with the person, but not on the grounds that his presidency is divinely sponsored.

Fortunately up here in Canada, we don't hear of party members leading campaigns that focus on religious affiliation. Maybe Stephen Harper was called by God to lead our nation, but darned if I know that.

But anyway, what would matter to me is if somebody were to actually make a difference. From what I heard on this guy, he does want to see to change American's attitudes towards financial related issues.