This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's create a religion

#1TheisbancPosted 7/22/2011 6:31:44 AM
Let's say John F. Kennedy was actually God.
And although He was assassinated, He actually was resurrected 2 days later and ascended into Heaven 30 days later. And by believing that fact, after you die, you will go to a place where you can do whatever you want for eternity. And if you don't, you won't be able to do anything after you die.

Would you join that religion?
What if I wrote a book detailing Kennedy's life and all the miracles He did? What if I hired a few other people to write similar books about Kennedy's divine life but inserted a few minor differences in the details so it can seem like more a realistic portrayal of history?

What would it take for you to become a part of a religion like this? What would it take for a lot of people to follow a religion like this?
---
61,000 donkeys -Numbers 31:34
#2anavriNPosted 7/22/2011 6:41:47 AM
I predict this topic will not end well...
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#3OrangeWizardPosted 7/22/2011 6:54:06 AM
Theisbanc posted...

What if I wrote a book detailing Kennedy's life and all the miracles He did? What if I hired a few other people to write similar books about Kennedy's divine life but inserted a few minor differences in the details so it can seem like more a realistic portrayal of history?

To make it comparable to the bible, you'd have to hire 40 people to write books over a span of 1,500 years.

Unless you were just talking about the Gospels, but that would be silly, because the Gospels are just a small part of a much larger collection of historical accounts.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#4KNessJMPosted 7/22/2011 7:00:13 AM
What would it take for you to become a part of a religion like this?

A lot of evidence that the religion's claims were true.

What would it take for a lot of people to follow a religion like this?

A lot of money and a good PR firm.
---
Quote of the Week: "He who is attached to things will suffer much."
#5TheRealJiraiyaPosted 7/22/2011 9:06:06 AM
Interesting question. I am close enough, timewise, to Kennedy to know thats probably false, yet those who were close enough, timewise, to Jesus often decided it was true.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#6shockwavepulsarjimPosted 7/22/2011 9:26:21 AM
Unless you were just talking about the Gospels, but that would be silly, because the Gospels are just a small part of a much larger collection of historical accounts.

the Gospels are just a small part of a much larger collection of historical accounts

historical accounts

---
Proletarier aller Lander vereinigt Euch!
#7TheRealJiraiyaPosted 7/22/2011 9:56:41 AM
shockwavepulsarjim posted...

the Gospels are just a small part of a much larger collection of historical accounts

historical accounts

Luke and Acts were actually written as a two part historical work.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#8OrangeWizardPosted 7/22/2011 9:57:36 AM
shockwavepulsarjim posted...

historical accounts

Do you have a problem with this statement?
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
#9shockwavepulsarjimPosted 7/22/2011 10:03:36 AM
Only that your definition of historical account is extraordinary. When something is called 'the good news', and its etymology means 'to evangelize', it seems like you are coming awfully close to equating historical account with propaganda.
---
Proletarier aller Lander vereinigt Euch!
#10OrangeWizardPosted 7/22/2011 10:11:34 AM
Are the gospels not made up of primary accounts written by at least three people?
---