This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thoughts on this line of biblical scripture

#31NoTitleRequiredPosted 7/22/2011 5:50:09 PM
shockwavepulsarjim posted...
People say this kind of stuff too often, and I didn't mean to be rude. But I'm sick of hearing someone tell me that the Greek doesn't actually mean something. Well, in this case, there is no way around it: the verb means hate. The verb even gives us our mis- stem words: misanthrope, misinformation, etc.

It does indeed mean "hate", but I'm not sure that "love" and "hate" were defined in the same sentimental terms when used in the ANE that they are now.
---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg
#32ledzepfan15Posted 7/22/2011 6:03:54 PM
Just that we should be ready to estrange ourselves or be estranged should opposition occur from inside the family because of our beliefs.

I sense a discrepancy with the commandment in Exodus 20:12.
You honor your mother and father up until your beliefs conflict with theirs?

Someone clear this up for me please.
---
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro
#33OrangeWizardPosted 7/22/2011 6:50:36 PM
ledzepfan15 posted...

You honor your mother and father up until your beliefs conflict with theirs?

Yes.

Just like you do the same with the authorities, until they tell you to stop preaching, then you keep preaching, and get executed
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#34ledzepfan15Posted 7/22/2011 8:20:40 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#35KNessJMPosted 7/23/2011 8:49:50 AM
I've read of a buddhist teacher saying something similar, except it went more along the lines of "be prepared/do not hesistate to kill your father, mother anything you are attached to. If the police come to stop you, kill them too."

I noticed this and thought I'd add a bit of clarification. I can't be certain on this without more information about who said it, when, and in what context, but it does seem to relate back to a Buddhist parable which says "If, on the path to enlightenment, you meet the Buddha, you must kill him."

This is not an instruction to actually commit violence of any sort, not is it disrespecting the Buddha. Nearly all Buddhist stories and sayings are metaphorical (especially the older ones, modern teachers are beginning to teach more literally). What this means is to not allow anything to hinder one's quest for enlightenment. Often in the course of long-term meditation practice, there will come bursts of epiphany or profound experiences. This teaching is urging the student not to stop at these moments and end the practice, but to continue on, for further learning and growth. It seems that the quote by the unnamed teacher above is in a similar vein, advising students not to feel held back in their practice. I'd be very surprised to hear a Buddhist teacher advocating violence of any sort.
---
Quote of the Week: "He who is attached to things will suffer much."
#36OrangeWizardPosted 7/23/2011 6:46:40 PM
That would be a pretty awesome idea for a DC character. He goes around killing people because they're in the way of his path to enlightenment. He'd probably be a better hand-to-hand fighter than Batman, but Batman would win, given time to plan, since he has all sorts of gadgets.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#37Wu_ZonghaiPosted 7/24/2011 1:28:37 AM
I think the word they should have used when they translated was "forsake"
---
At night, the trolls crawl out from their bridges to dance under the pale moon.