This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When God has never answered my prayers, why should I still believe in Her?

#61XjphPosted 7/25/2011 10:22:10 AM
Personally I find the idea of a gendered "god" to be bordering on absurdity, and prefer "it" or just avoiding the use of personal pronouns altogether.
"He" and "His" are easy to overlook because they are accepted, both theologically and linguistically, to refer to gender neutral people and objects. Using "She" or "Her" draws specific attention to the fact that you believe god is female.
If you really must use a personal pronoun to refer to your god and dislike the use of the singular inanimate "it" then just use "they" and "their". It's sometimes disputed today, but "they" and "their" have a long history of use as singular gender neutral personal pronouns. Besides, the trinity makes the use of a plural pronoun somewhat appropriate anyway.
---
"I think the gene pool needs some chlorine..."
#62spartanmkPosted 7/25/2011 7:32:50 PM
Successful troll is very successful. It never ceases to amaze me how easily people take such obvious bait as this.
#63Barenziah Boy Toy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2011 8:08:24 PM
I'd be just as annoyed at someone calling Isis a "he", when she is characterized as a female. I'd be just as annoyed by a believer in the Cult of Valtiel referrig to God as a He.
But the Bible doesn't actually describe God to have any male characteristics, besides simply referring to Her with pronouns or 'Father'.

"He" and "His" are easy to overlook because they are accepted, both theologically and linguistically, to refer to gender neutral people and objects.
Only because the language was borne from a patriarchal society.

---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#64XjphPosted 7/26/2011 2:51:29 AM

Only because the language was borne from a patriarchal society.

So you would rather obfuscate communication than use the language as commonly accepted? Good to know. As you were then.
---
"I think the gene pool needs some chlorine..."
#65Barenziah Boy Toy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2011 11:07:07 PM
So you would rather obfuscate communication than use the language as commonly accepted?
When I refer to God with She, are you confused? If so, then lulz.

---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}