This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My biggest regret with this life...

#11OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2011 7:57:34 AM
If we lived a couple of million/billion years in the future (I forgot the actual figure), we wouldn't be able to see even the nearest galaxies, much less the rest of the universe, based on accelerating expansion rates and what not.

We would see nothing but an immense void and have no way to tell that all this other stuff is out there.

Really? I don't see how this is true. The light from these other galaxies reaches us now, and it's going to continue reaching us as they move further and further away. I read somewhere else that we'll see more and more out there as the light from more distant galaxies finally reaches us.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#12RetrotasticPosted 7/24/2011 9:53:46 AM
This .gif awes me more than any description of God has ever been able to do.

But surely it is something God did?
#13NsM ComatosisPosted 7/24/2011 10:52:51 AM
PolluxFrost47 posted...
If we lived a couple of million/billion years in the future (I forgot the actual figure), we wouldn't be able to see even the nearest galaxies, much less the rest of the universe, based on accelerating expansion rates and what not.

We would see nothing but an immense void and have no way to tell that all this other stuff is out there.

Really? I don't see how this is true. The light from these other galaxies reaches us now, and it's going to continue reaching us as they move further and further away. I read somewhere else that we'll see more and more out there as the light from more distant galaxies finally reaches us.

I think the argument is that the universe will eventually be expanding faster than the speed of light. At that point, it will be impossible to detect light from other stars/galaxies.
---
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter
#14thaer_dudePosted 7/24/2011 2:40:32 PM
Retrotastic posted...
This .gif awes me more than any description of God has ever been able to do.

But surely it is something God did?

<above statement is meaningless without further evidence>

NsM Comatosis posted...
PolluxFrost47 posted...
I think the argument is that the universe will eventually be expanding faster than the speed of light. At that point, it will be impossible to detect light from other stars/galaxies.

Yup, this pretty much. It's possible due to general relativity.
---
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first.. invent the universe" -Carl Sagan
#15KapoopPosted 7/24/2011 3:41:47 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#16KapoopPosted 7/24/2011 3:44:06 PM
Somehow managed to post a blank message. Anyways, what I was going to say is that .gifs like this one are part of the reason I've decided to study Astronomy.

---
"I say a man was caught on tape [making love to] a pinata, and you people say 'So, when does this get weird?'" - Jon Stewart
#17OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2011 4:12:14 PM

From: NsM Comatosis | Posted: 7/24/2011 2:52:51 PM | #013

I see... interesting.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#18GuideToTheDarkPosted 7/24/2011 9:51:53 PM
How didn't I see this topic earlier? I share this sentiment so hard. I want to be a ghost capable of ftl travel and some kind of omni-sensory array.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.