This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians don't know how long Adam and Eve were in the garden.

#1__NFK__Posted 7/24/2011 2:56:28 AM(edited)
How can we be even remotely sure as to the age of the Earth (from a biblical perspective)?

---
-NFK
#2ElderMisanthropyPosted 7/24/2011 3:54:48 AM
Would you mind citing where the bible makes claims pertaining to the age of the Earth?
---
Everyone knows that women are not equipped for golf or space travel. Space is a vacuum, not a place that needs to be vacuumed.
#3sthaterPosted 7/24/2011 4:18:47 AM

From: ElderMisanthropy | Posted: 7/24/2011 2:54:48 AM | #002
Would you mind citing where the bible makes claims pertaining to the age of the Earth?

It doesn't say directly but (and keep in mind I don't believe this) but it does give the biblical lineage going back to Adam so they just addup all the years and that's how they come up with the 6000 years.
---
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666
#4Giacomo_HawkinsPosted 7/24/2011 6:58:49 PM
Considering the fact that the bible states that Adam lived 930 years, that does put an upper limit on how long he was in the Garden.
---
Will the little voice in the back of my mind screaming "This is a bad idea" please yield the floor. --Mikey
Chivalry be hanged, and so will you.
#5IvashankoPosted 7/24/2011 7:02:25 PM
It doesn't say directly but (and keep in mind I don't believe this) but it does give the biblical lineage going back to Adam so they just addup all the years and that's how they come up with the 6000 years.

That is the traditional way of getting to six thousand, correct. The real mix-up is the word 'day' ancient Hebrew, which as I have stated before can literally mean any period of time.
#6FireFlameSpitaPosted 7/24/2011 7:14:41 PM
^Not really though. This is something Christians try to claim in order to combine evolution/Big Bang with the Bible's account of our history.
#7Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 7/24/2011 7:20:52 PM
How can we be even remotely sure as to the age of the Earth (from a biblical perspective)?
By counting how many generations are listed by the Bible.

---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#8OrangeWizardPosted 7/24/2011 7:31:15 PM
Age of humans =/= Age of the earth.

If the creative days aren't literal days, that is.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#9Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 7/24/2011 7:38:52 PM
Age of humans =/= Age of the earth.

If the creative days aren't literal days, that is.

If you don't take the Bible literally about this, then why bother trying to calculate the age of the Earth in the first place?

---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#10OrangeWizardPosted 7/24/2011 7:40:29 PM
If you don't take the bible literally about this, then you CAN'T calculate the age of the Earth (from the bible).
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops