This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sacrifices in Islam

#1mercuryinkPosted 7/24/2011 12:01:44 PM(edited)
Yea or nay? What, as Seinfeld was known to ask, is the deal?
When I say sacrifices, I mean the traditional idea of a sacrifice to a god. Burn some grain, spill some wine (less likely in a dry culture), slaughter a sheep. That sort of thing.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#2ComplexStar101Posted 7/24/2011 2:51:28 PM
Replace every noun in that second-to-last sentence with "human" and you get the idea
#3DbzmaniaxPosted 7/24/2011 3:07:42 PM
Really, the only sacrifice that comes to mind is that during eid al-adha, which involves sacrificing a ram (some other animals are also accepted) in commemoration of Abraham alayhi assalam and his dream and then distributing the meat to the poor.

In terms of a sacrifice in which foodstuff are left aside or burnt for God, there isn't anything like that in Islam.
---
Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers. - Muhammad salalahu alayhi wasalam
#4mercuryink(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2011 6:40:39 PM(edited)
Okay, because out of curiosity with regards to another topic, I looked up the history of ship-naming and saw a mention on wikipedia of Turkey, iirc, having a sacrifice of a sheep to Allah. But that might have been a very early form of Turkish Islam, as pagan practices were first being pushed aside. First a sacrifice to Allah instead of whoever, then eventually the phasing out of them altogether.
---
#5DbzmaniaxPosted 7/24/2011 6:52:08 PM
Ship launchings in the Ottoman Empire were accompanied by prayers to Allah, the sacrifice of sheep, and appropriate feasting.

The Ottoman Empire was a pretty late Turkish empire, though. Turks had been Muslims for a long time before (i.e. the Seljuks and the Mamluks). They could have evidence for their actions which I may be aware of or it could be an innovated practice, maybe, as you say, with some history behind it.

Still, I'd assume that the sheep would be eaten afterward as it mentions feast.

Btw, there are other situations in which sheep are generally sacrificed which slipped by mind initially. For example, when a child is born it is recommended to slaughter a sheep or two and hold a feast (known as the aqeeqah).
---
Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers. - Muhammad salalahu alayhi wasalam
#6mercuryink(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2011 7:10:52 PM(edited)
Okay. From what I've been able to learn of ancient Hebrew sacrifices, fat was burned on the altar, while the meat was eaten.
The birth thing would fit. As I mentioned in the other topic, the ships were being named like living beings, naval tradition and all. Treating them like a new person being "born" would make sense.
---