This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is God capable of wrath, pride, and deceit?

#1Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 7/24/2011 3:44:56 PM
If not, then how are God's actions explained in the Bible, Koran, or other religious texts? Secondly, does it make sense that an omniscient/omnipotent being isn't capable of experiencing such things?

If God is capable of such sins, then why should God be viewed as a Purely Virtuous being?

---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#2OrnitierIXPosted 7/24/2011 3:47:13 PM
Why'd you capitalize purely virtuous?
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#3Barenziah Boy Toy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2011 3:48:10 PM
^ In order to point out a superlative state.

---
#4OrnitierIXPosted 7/24/2011 3:50:52 PM
Ah.
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#5the_hedonistPosted 7/24/2011 3:57:16 PM
Capable, yes. And I would say that God is often wrathful and proud. But I do not believe he has ever been deceitful.
---
Thumbs up for rock 'n' roll.
~The Christian Hedonist~
#6Barenziah Boy Toy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2011 3:58:10 PM
Capable, yes. And I would say that God is often wrathful and proud.
Then why should God be considered a purely virtuous being?

---
#7the_hedonistPosted 7/24/2011 4:48:22 PM
God is only wrathful towards those who are sinful, and that is just. And pride is the only honest way that God has to feel about himself. If the only supremely valuable being in existence does not believe himself to be worthy, then he is a liar. Pride is only wrong in humans because we are not worthy.
---
Thumbs up for rock 'n' roll.
~The Christian Hedonist~
#8Barenziah Boy Toy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2011 4:57:00 PM
God is only wrathful towards those who are sinful, and that is just.
But even Jesus advocates turning the other cheek. Are you saying that Jesus was wrong? And how is it just to hurt someone out of anger/hate? I can understand executing /punishing someone out of justice, but hate?

Secondly, how do explain God's wrath when it hurts/kill little babies, like when natural disasters or biological circumstances destroy them?

And pride is the only honest way that God has to feel about himself. If the only supremely valuable being in existence does not believe himself to be worthy, then he is a liar.
Worthy of what? Why would God feel good about being better than everyone else? She was formed that way.

---
#9CIA911Posted 7/24/2011 5:04:00 PM
But even Jesus advocates turning the other cheek. Are you saying that Jesus was wrong?

Ya know...these kinds of questions can be answered with a simple look at some scripture.

Romans 12:19

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Vengeance is for God, not for us. So when Jesus says turn the other cheek, he is absolutely right. It is not our place to exact revenge.
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#10ArcticMtnWolfPosted 7/24/2011 5:05:24 PM
Wrath, yes. One who is pure, righteous, and holy would absolutely hate what is evil and, if just, would pour out wrath against it.

Pride, depends what you mean by the word. It comes loaded with baggage and nuances.

Deceit, no.
---
"I like to park close to my car. Makes it easier to drive."