This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If God works in mysterious ways, is it possible that his Works is a lie /flawed?

#1Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 7/24/2011 3:57:14 PM
By Works, I meant Old Testament, New Testament, Koran, etc.

True / False. Please explain your answer.

---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#2Faust_8Posted 7/24/2011 4:13:48 PM
I like the quote from Jim Jeffries (funny Australian comic):

"There's nothing mysterious about being a dick."
---
My understanding of reality is contingent...on reality.
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#3KeakealaniPosted 7/24/2011 4:49:25 PM
I'm not really getting what you're asking. Are you asking if God could do things that are actually not good? Or if we can perceive them as being not good? Or if He himself is a lie/flawed character? And what exactly does that have to do with "mysterious ways"?

I guess - speaking without much theological background, I think it's entirely possible that we could perceive God's actions as being flawed, or even that we could perceive incorrectly so from our point of view, as humans, God's actions are incongruous with reality (i.e., a lie). However, IF you go on the premise that God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and essentially Good, then those perceptions would be because we as humans are flawed and imperfect, not necessarily because God is. And it is a "mystery" because we as humans can't know everything and therefore will see things in ways that are incongruous with God's greater vision.

I guess it really depends on what your personal views of God are. But for my tastes, God is not Himself a lie or flawed being, but our interaction with him can be flawed or based on misconceptions and it can seem from our limited scope of perspective that things are not always as good as they seem.
---
~Kea
#4Barenziah Boy Toy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2011 6:17:40 PM
^ I am referring to the Torah, Koran, Bible. Many religious people try to explain illogical parts of their religion by claiming that 'God works in mysterious ways'.

Well, if we were to accept that premise, then shouldn't we also must allow for the possibility that Her Works don't truly represent Her actual word? That some or even all of it is just a lie, or at least flawed?

---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#5IvashankoPosted 7/24/2011 6:47:12 PM
The Bible itself warns that it is changeable- and gives a very harsh price to the person who does that, by the way- so even theologically it isn't inconsistent. Taken from the viewpoint that all mankind is fallible, and the Bible is, while divinely inspired, still written by mankind, it would almost by its very nature have to be flawed in at least one area.

...But I'm not sure if that logic plays out anywhere except in my own head.
#6gamesrgreatPosted 7/24/2011 6:48:37 PM
Yes TC those scriptures could very well be flawed/false
---
The Miami Heat
#7chukie_suePosted 7/24/2011 7:23:39 PM
I don't think your premise even has to be accepted for God to be lying. Flawed? No, impossible.
---
"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. ...It isn't 'in the beginning, a monkey evolution gay marriage'." - Colbert
#8RetrotasticPosted 7/25/2011 2:43:10 AM
Some of it will be allegorical so not literally true in a physical historical sense. But as long as you don't believe anything that goes against what we know.