This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Being jewish

#1VerbigerationPosted 7/25/2011 1:53:42 PM
Ok, quite awhile ago when I used to play phantasy star universe there was some guy that was ranting to another how he was being racist and such against him for saying bad things about his belief, but to be honest the jewish believing fella was so annoying, so I had to step in and let him know that the guy saying bad things wasn't really being racist at all. but he was having none of it and insisted he was racist.

Being jewish does not equal a race, it is purely a religion is that not correct?
---
See it's easy as cake, simple as whistlin Dixie
while I'm wavin the pistol at sixty Christians against me.
#2OrnitierIXPosted 7/25/2011 2:05:41 PM
Kind of. It's not a race. However, It is an ethnicity as well as a religion.
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#3OogallyPosted 7/25/2011 2:15:45 PM
You're Jewish if your mother is Jewish, no matter your religious beliefs.
#4DagorhaPosted 7/25/2011 2:28:14 PM
you can be ethnically Jewish as well as religiously Jewish. So yeah, it can be racist.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#5Verbigeration(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2011 2:42:04 PM
Oogally
Posted 7/25/2011 3:15:45 PM
message detail

You're Jewish if your mother is Jewish, no matter your religious beliefs.

This is not true, My friends mother is jewish and his brother is christian and he's neither.

Dagorha
Posted 7/25/2011 3:28:14 PM
message detail

you can be ethnically Jewish as well as religiously Jewish. So yeah, it can be racist.

No it can't be racist, Race and Ethnicity are not the same thing.

Homosapien is a race, neanderthal is a race, being Chinese is a race being African is a race, they share features / colour. Being jewish / christian isn't a race of people who were born that way it's a belief system that is forced upon the child who is born into the world knowing absolutely nothing about religions.
---
#6DagorhaPosted 7/25/2011 2:45:07 PM
No it can't be racist, Race and Ethnicity are not the same thing.

Homosapien is a race, neanderthal is a race, being Chinese is a race being African is a race, they share features / colour. Being jewish / christian isn't a race of people who were born that way it's a belief system that is forced upon the child who is born into the world knowing absolutely nothing about religions.

Ethnicity was the wrong word but my point still stands. If you are Jewish, I.E descendant of one of those tribes then yes, you are a racist if you insult them.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#7kozlo100Posted 7/25/2011 2:45:09 PM
it is purely a religion is that not correct?

That is incorrect. Being Jewish is not a purely religious matter.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#8mercuryinkPosted 7/25/2011 2:48:35 PM(edited)
neanderthal is a race
Neanderthal is a species. And in American English vernacular, racist can be loosely used to mean, "biased against someone for reasons due to circumstances surrounding his/her genetic heritage".

Judaism is a religion. The Jews are a group of people who include, but are not limited to, practitioners of Judaism. If being Jewish were a purely religious matter, a hell of a lot of people wouldn't have died in WWII.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#9Verbigeration(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2011 2:47:08 PM
kozlo100
Posted 7/25/2011 3:45:09 PM
message detail

That is incorrect. Being Jewish is not a purely religious matter.

Ok so can you provide evidence that shows in a jewish persons DNA showing which part of it makes them a jew?
---
#10Verbigeration(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2011 2:49:01 PM
OrnitierIX
Posted 7/25/2011 3:05:41 PM
message detail

Kind of. It's not a race. However, It is an ethnicity as well as a religion.

In that case all religions can also be called an ethnicity. Even so though ethnicity and race are not the same thing at all.
---