This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've heard that the Bible is infallible, as well as not to be taken literally

#11Maverick3000Posted 7/27/2011 10:22:40 PM
Biblical infallicy generally only means the Bible is 100% when it comes to morals and Christian lifestyle. Biblical inerrancy is the idea that the Bible is without error, and generally people who believe in that take it completely literally.
---
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez
#12Enforcer Of The WordPosted 7/27/2011 11:21:37 PM
I believe in Noah's Ark, and David and Goliath. :(
---
---
#13anavriNPosted 7/28/2011 7:26:47 AM
Unfortunately, this sort of takes any responsibility away from any Christians who have to validate the Bible. If science made discoveries that contradict Biblical passages, then all they have to say is "It's not to be taken literally.

It may be a weak strategy for theists, but the fact is that infallibility and subjectivity are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The definition of infallible does not include that it must contain objective truth-statements.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#14mystic belmontPosted 7/28/2011 10:18:09 PM

The trick, unfortunately, is figuring out which is which.

Which is hard to do, since you have people who think everything in the bible is absolutely true.

If we had a guideline for determining which is real and which is not, that would be great, but we don't.

There is a topic on Noah's Ark if you would like to contribute.
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]
#15OnceInALifeTimePosted 7/28/2011 11:44:34 PM

Can I just ask why, considering we have no evidence for either event?
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#16anavriNPosted 7/29/2011 1:58:40 AM
Can I just ask why, considering we have no evidence for either event?

The case is even worse with Noah's Ark: we have mountains of evidence that it couldn't possibly have happened.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#17hunter_gohanPosted 7/29/2011 9:44:49 PM
hamsandwich3141 posted...
In that case I suppose every holy text is infallible as long as it is interpreted "correctly."

Not only that, but every single piece of fiction that has a moral to it is infallible. The Boy Who Cried Wolf is infallible! .....kinda loses it's meaning when you stretch it that far.

mystic belmont
If we had a guideline for determining which is real and which is not, that would be great, but we don't.

We do though, it's called reality. For instance, every single piece of evidence shows that <strike>Gilgamesh's</strike> Noah's Flood is a complete and total fable.
---
If you find yourself falling into madness -- dive. -Malkavian Clan Book 1st edition
#18mystic belmontPosted 7/29/2011 9:48:13 PM

We do though, it's called reality. For instance, every single piece of evidence shows that <strike>Gilgamesh's</strike> Noah's Flood is a complete and total fable.

I meant biblically.
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]