This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do the muslims here have to say about this?

#1Wu_ZonghaiPosted 7/27/2011 6:15:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2VkIu8TL_I&feature=related

Shariah law courts ruling cases in britain
---
At night, the trolls crawl out from their bridges to dance under the pale moon.
#2kozlo100Posted 7/27/2011 6:19:44 PM
The way it sounds to me is that the Shariah courts don't have any actual legal authority, and submitting to their rulings is essentially equivalent to going on Judge Judy and agreeing to abide by her decisions.

Is that accurate, or is there more to it than that?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#3Heineken14Posted 7/27/2011 6:29:41 PM

The way it sounds to me is that the Shariah courts don't have any actual legal authority, and submitting to their rulings is essentially equivalent to going on Judge Judy and agreeing to abide by her decisions.

Is that accurate, or is there more to it than that?

That's pretty much the just of what I've heard.
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic
#4kozlo100Posted 7/27/2011 6:43:45 PM
If that is the case, then I don't really have a problem. That just seems like a group of people voluntarily holding themselves to a particular standard, and that is something that should be allowed.

Of course, they should not be allowed to circumvent standing law, nor enforce their authority on anyone who has not volunteered to be subject to it, but I haven't seen that they've crossed that line.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#5king_gimpyPosted 7/27/2011 7:24:18 PM
kozlo100 posted...
If that is the case, then I don't really have a problem. That just seems like a group of people voluntarily holding themselves to a particular standard, and that is something that should be allowed.

Of course, they should not be allowed to circumvent standing law, nor enforce their authority on anyone who has not volunteered to be subject to it, but I haven't seen that they've crossed that line.

I agree completely with this, and if this indeed is the case I think some of the people I've seen online shrieking that shariah law is taking over the UK are overreacting.

Now, if these courts are actually tying to have their verdicts count over the verdicts of the UK's judicial system then yes, these people are correct in their stance, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
---
You can believe in stones, as long as you do not throw them at me.
#6Maverick3000Posted 7/27/2011 9:23:52 PM
Don't they already have Jewish version of these courts?
---
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez
#7DbzmaniaxPosted 7/28/2011 12:33:16 AM
Yes, to my understanding they've had them for a quite a while longer than their Islamic counterparts. And yes, it is completely voluntary - both parties need to agree to it however I do believe the ruling is legally binding.
---
Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers. - Muhammad salalahu alayhi wasalam
#8king_gimpyPosted 7/28/2011 12:43:36 AM
Dbzmaniax posted...
Yes, to my understanding they've had them for a quite a while longer than their Islamic counterparts. And yes, it is completely voluntary - both parties need to agree to it however I do believe the ruling is legally binding.

If that's the case I don't see any big deal, I mean you have to agree before the court can even have any legal say in your situation so it sounds like a lot of people in the UK are being reactionist fearmongers for no real reason.
---
You can believe in stones, as long as you do not throw them at me.- Wafa Sultan
#9Wu_Zonghai(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 1:06:34 AM
It's not a big deal until the fat lady sings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45rvkv4af28
---
At night, the trolls crawl out from their bridges to dance under the pale moon.