This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bill Maher is an idiot. "Mormonism is closer to Islam than Christianity"

#1Cornelious32Posted 8/4/2011 6:34:45 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/maher-romney-mormon-christianity-video-2011-8

He has many verifiable false statements in this rant. First, Joseph Smith doesnt even come close to the importance of Jesus Christ in Mormonism. Second, Mormons believe the exact same things about Christ that most Christians do. Savior, perfect, divine, etc.
#2OrnitierIXPosted 8/4/2011 6:36:53 AM
Just popping in to say that Maher was once anti-vax.

That is all.
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#3KNessJMPosted 8/4/2011 7:22:25 AM
The Mormon conception of God is significantly different than most other forms of Christianity. Very rarely do you come across non-Mormon Christians who believe that God is a physical being, living on another planet.
---
Quote of the Week: "He who is attached to things will suffer much."
#4Cornelious32(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 7:36:45 AM
KNessJM posted...
The Mormon conception of God is significantly different than most other forms of Christianity. Very rarely do you come across non-Mormon Christians who believe that God is a physical being, living on another planet.

How does that in any way make Mormonism closer to Islam?
#5KNessJMPosted 8/4/2011 7:42:13 AM
I didn't say that it did, just pointing out a major theological difference. Your initial post seemed to be implying that there were virtually no significant differences between Mormonism and other sects of Christianity, so I was just making the point that it is very different in some respects. I'd still say it's a Christian religion though, and not very closely related to Islam. At least not any more than other forms of Christianity are.
---
Quote of the Week: "He who is attached to things will suffer much."
#6Cornelious32(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 7:43:46 AM
KNessJM posted...
I didn't say that it did, just pointing out a major theological difference. Your initial post seemed to be implying that there were virtually no significant differences between Mormonism and other sects of Christianity, so I was just making the point that it is very different in some respects. I'd still say it's a Christian religion though, and not very closely related to Islam. At least not any more than other forms of Christianity are.

I was referring to the doctrine of Christ being the Savior. We believe the exact same in terms of his role, what he has done for us, being divine, etc. Islam doesnt believe any of those things. Anyways, this goes to prove Maher is an idiot. Christ is #1 in Mormonism, just like Christianity.
#7FoxTheSwiftPosted 8/4/2011 11:25:41 AM
It actually isn't verifiably false, considering many consider this to be true about Mormonism, not just Maher. The points of similarity to me though are less in theology and more in attitude towards things like homosexuality, women, theocracy and the like. It should be noted that to the Mormon's credit, they are some of the few in the Judeo-Christian line of religions in America that actually get along well with the Muslims and aren't prejudiced against them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism_and_Islam
#8bsballa09Posted 8/4/2011 12:29:19 PM
You're right. Mormonism is closer to a cult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKLdou0LH0
---
GameFAQs: Where asking a question about PS3 trophies on the PS3 board is considered off topic.
#9CorduroyBearPosted 8/4/2011 12:29:24 PM
People take Bill Maher seriously?
---
4 8 15 16 23 42
#10PatriotwolfPosted 8/4/2011 12:41:08 PM
Bill Maher has more issue than a magazine rack. As far as Mormonism, thats a whole nother can of worms
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush