This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

muslim fired for not shaving his beard

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. muslim fired for not shaving his beard

User Info: LuigisBro

LuigisBro
5 years ago#1
sorry but freedom of religion does not exempt one from following a company's dress code

A Seattle-area Muslim man is suing his former employer, claiming he was fired as a security guard for refusing to shave the beard he wears for religious reasons.

http://news.yahoo.com/muslim-man-sues-wa-employer-firing-over-beard-221450280.html
TGS predictions - slimmer PS3, NGP - $199, PS3 DQX, PS3 gets PS2 bc, Cafe - $599, Zelda SS moved to Cafe

User Info: Naveen93

Naveen93
5 years ago#2
Yeah, I don't like when someone thinks that their religion makes them exempt from something that everyone else is subjected to.
Not changing this signature until I feel like it.
Started 1/27/2011

User Info: anavriN

anavriN
5 years ago#3
I'd probably be fired as well if I were to repeatedly ignore mandates to shave my beard.
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.

User Info: bsballa09

bsballa09
5 years ago#4
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherbert_v._Verner

Try again luigi.
GameFAQs: Where asking a question about PS3 trophies on the PS3 board is considered off topic.

User Info: LuigisBro

LuigisBro
5 years ago#5
^ apples & oranges
TGS predictions - slimmer PS3, NGP - $199, PS3 DQX, PS3 gets PS2 bc, Cafe - $599, Zelda SS moved to Cafe

User Info: Faust_8

Faust_8
5 years ago#6
I just don't see the point of this. Is his beard really getting the way of the quality of his work? No. So I hope things go his way.

Frankly I don't see the point of any company policy that prohibits such things. It should be that all beards should be trimmed neatly, but you shouldn't ban beards all together. I mean...why? It's not like beards offend people, men walk around with all manner of facial hair every day.

Only if it's a legitimate safety concern for specific jobs do I think it's necessary, but I don't see how that applies to a security guard, especially since his doesn't extend past his chin.
My understanding of reality is contingent...on reality.
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
5 years ago#7
What Faust said.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: Icymane_Shado

Icymane_Shado
5 years ago#8
Faust_8 posted...
I just don't see the point of this. Is his beard really getting the way of the quality of his work? No. So I hope things go his way.

Frankly I don't see the point of any company policy that prohibits such things. It should be that all beards should be trimmed neatly, but you shouldn't ban beards all together. I mean...why? It's not like beards offend people, men walk around with all manner of facial hair every day.

Only if it's a legitimate safety concern for specific jobs do I think it's necessary, but I don't see how that applies to a security guard, especially since his doesn't extend past his chin.

Well you can disagree with the policy if you want to, but that doesn't make a person justified in breaking it.
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"

User Info: bsballa09

bsballa09
5 years ago#9
^ apples & oranges

Ah, the comeback from a failed argument.
GameFAQs: Where asking a question about PS3 trophies on the PS3 board is considered off topic.

User Info: ElderMisanthropy

ElderMisanthropy
5 years ago#10
I had to shave my beard when I worked at a damn grocery store in high school. I have no sympathy for this guy.
Everyone knows that women are not equipped for golf or space travel. Space is a vacuum, not a place that needs to be vacuumed.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. muslim fired for not shaving his beard

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived