This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

muslim fired for not shaving his beard

#1LuigisBroPosted 8/4/2011 7:05:31 PM
sorry but freedom of religion does not exempt one from following a company's dress code

A Seattle-area Muslim man is suing his former employer, claiming he was fired as a security guard for refusing to shave the beard he wears for religious reasons.

http://news.yahoo.com/muslim-man-sues-wa-employer-firing-over-beard-221450280.html
---
TGS predictions - slimmer PS3, NGP - $199, PS3 DQX, PS3 gets PS2 bc, Cafe - $599, Zelda SS moved to Cafe
#2Naveen93Posted 8/4/2011 7:14:25 PM
Yeah, I don't like when someone thinks that their religion makes them exempt from something that everyone else is subjected to.
---
Not changing this signature until I feel like it.
Started 1/27/2011
#3anavriNPosted 8/4/2011 7:17:14 PM
I'd probably be fired as well if I were to repeatedly ignore mandates to shave my beard.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#4bsballa09Posted 8/4/2011 7:48:33 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherbert_v._Verner

Try again luigi.
---
GameFAQs: Where asking a question about PS3 trophies on the PS3 board is considered off topic.
#5LuigisBro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 8:55:11 PM
^ apples & oranges
---
TGS predictions - slimmer PS3, NGP - $199, PS3 DQX, PS3 gets PS2 bc, Cafe - $599, Zelda SS moved to Cafe
#6Faust_8Posted 8/4/2011 9:18:15 PM
I just don't see the point of this. Is his beard really getting the way of the quality of his work? No. So I hope things go his way.

Frankly I don't see the point of any company policy that prohibits such things. It should be that all beards should be trimmed neatly, but you shouldn't ban beards all together. I mean...why? It's not like beards offend people, men walk around with all manner of facial hair every day.

Only if it's a legitimate safety concern for specific jobs do I think it's necessary, but I don't see how that applies to a security guard, especially since his doesn't extend past his chin.
---
My understanding of reality is contingent...on reality.
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#7Hustle KongPosted 8/4/2011 9:31:13 PM
What Faust said.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#8Icymane_ShadoPosted 8/4/2011 9:40:31 PM
Faust_8 posted...
I just don't see the point of this. Is his beard really getting the way of the quality of his work? No. So I hope things go his way.

Frankly I don't see the point of any company policy that prohibits such things. It should be that all beards should be trimmed neatly, but you shouldn't ban beards all together. I mean...why? It's not like beards offend people, men walk around with all manner of facial hair every day.

Only if it's a legitimate safety concern for specific jobs do I think it's necessary, but I don't see how that applies to a security guard, especially since his doesn't extend past his chin.

Well you can disagree with the policy if you want to, but that doesn't make a person justified in breaking it.
---
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"
#9bsballa09Posted 8/4/2011 9:54:34 PM
^ apples & oranges

Ah, the comeback from a failed argument.
---
GameFAQs: Where asking a question about PS3 trophies on the PS3 board is considered off topic.
#10ElderMisanthropyPosted 8/4/2011 10:13:58 PM
I had to shave my beard when I worked at a damn grocery store in high school. I have no sympathy for this guy.
---
Everyone knows that women are not equipped for golf or space travel. Space is a vacuum, not a place that needs to be vacuumed.