This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

muslim fired for not shaving his beard

#81mercuryinkPosted 8/7/2011 1:27:37 PM(edited)
It does, but this is freedom of religion and how it applies to discrimination in the workplace. And even free speech has guards against discrimination. A boss can't fire you for going to a political gathering.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#82TheLesserFaithXPosted 8/7/2011 1:33:29 PM(edited)
Freedom of religion falls under the first amendment, which only applies to the government He has no case.
---
http://i.imgur.com/shH52.jpg
Evolution is a scientific fact with tons of conclusive evidence: http://goo.gl/hWwzO
#83Master CilanderPosted 8/7/2011 1:35:11 PM
Didn't read the whole topic, but the lawsuit is stupid.

First off, security companies enforce uniform policies just like the police and the military do.

You go into it knowing that. The concept of uniform may not mean much to you people, but it exists and has existed for a long time.
---
Mortal Kombat Master of the Drunken Fist &
Justice League Member: Eddie Jemison
#84mercuryinkPosted 8/7/2011 2:40:49 PM(edited)
Freedom of religion falls under the first amendment
And again I point out that parallel laws not only exist, but notifications of their existence are required (by an entirely different -yet obviously related- set of laws) to be posted in a visible location in all workplaces. Again, I point out that your boss can't fire you just because you voted for someone different, or worship a different god, than he.
---
#85anavriNPosted 8/7/2011 3:01:38 PM
Fun fact: I just heard that a girl who works at the hotel where I'm currently working night-shift passed out today because she is practicing Ramadan right now (and she is devote enough to pass on water as well).
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#86mercuryinkPosted 8/7/2011 3:58:19 PM
That's not fun at all.
---
#87anavriNPosted 8/7/2011 4:03:42 PM
I'll admit, it's not "ha-ha" funny, but then again there's something comical about a human who consciously makes the decision to refrain from nutrition to the point of collapse. Again, not "ha-ha" funny, but more like "getting-blasted-on-whiskey-and-trying-to-operate-a-unicycle" funny.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#88DbzmaniaxPosted 8/7/2011 4:46:18 PM
I'll admit that she should've (and would have been perfectly justified in doing so) broken her fast once it started to adversely affect to such a level*, but it's not like every person in the world faints.

Both my brothers played a two hour amateur-level football match yesterday and they came out fighting. I don't think I've ever met anyone who has fainted during Ramadan. Well, my auntie would if she fasted, but then again, she faints quite often and she is exempt from fasting due to her medical conditions (allahuma yashfiha).

* The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful.
---
Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers. - Muhammad salalahu alayhi wasalam