This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Studying christianity..

#1PhiZZiZlePosted 8/5/2011 1:53:45 PM
I've been a christian for a long time, but just recently began really studying christian apologetics. My ultimate goal is to be able to answer the questions non-believers have regarding my faith. With that in mind, what problems do you have with christianity? If you are a christian, what questions stump you?
---
God made police so that firefighters could have heroes.
#2gamesrgreatPosted 8/5/2011 1:55:54 PM
Problem of Evil
Contradictions between Gospels
Differences between Christianity and Judaism
---
The Miami Heat
#3OrnitierIXPosted 8/5/2011 2:09:11 PM
Euthyphro's dilemma
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#4CIA911Posted 8/5/2011 2:17:23 PM
The problem I have is, it's extremely hard to explain something to someone (Even if you are correct), if they already have their own complete interpretation of it, based on the way they were raised, or things their church taught them, etc. People are SO set in their ideas that not even an argument that makes sense can convince them otherwise, since it's just simply how they were raised. They take scripture and get these ideas from it that simply aren't Biblical, but then try to rationalize it, not be comparing scripture with scripture as the Bible says to do, but just trying to "explain" what those verses mean. There are a few verses in particular where 10 different "Christians" will have 10 different explanations for what it means. That's the problem I have with "Christianity." And especially churches in general.
---
-JESUS
SAVES
#5OrangeWizardPosted 8/5/2011 2:25:07 PM(edited)

The problem I have is, it's extremely hard to explain something to someone (Even if you are correct), if they already have their own complete interpretation of it, based on the way they were raised, or things their church taught them, etc. People are SO set in their ideas that not even an argument that makes sense can convince them otherwise

You are an excellent example of this.

Also, I read the bold in your sig as "US SAVE", which doesn't make sense.
Also,no questions stump me. With enough time to plan, I'm like batman.

---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#6kozlo100Posted 8/5/2011 2:26:52 PM
Oh we recently had a little discussion on one of the ones I'm more interested in.

Given the assumptions that we have free will, and God infallibly knows the future, how do you get around the contradiction created between those two assertions?

This, of course, only applies if you do assert both things. I know there are several groups of Christians that do not.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#7CIA911Posted 8/5/2011 2:40:13 PM(edited)
You are an excellent example of this.

Also, I read the bold in your sig as "US SAVE", which doesn't make sense.
Also,no questions stump me. With enough time to plan, I'm like batman.

Haha. Yeah, only I never claim to know EVERYTHING about the Bible. You do, and you think you're right 100% of the time. If someone asked me to explain something I didn't know because I wasn't sure...I would tell them. You would just give them the answer your handbook says to give. And I've seen you be completely wrong before in topics, yet you claim you just "schooled" everyone, so yes, in your own mind, no questions stump you. I think everyone here can attest to that. The irony of what I bolded is literally making me laugh out loud. I mean...how can someone be so oblivious...it doesn't make sense to me.

Example of an argument I had with OW:

CIA - We won't remember our former lives in Heaven

OW - The Bible doesn't say that.

CIA - *posts verse that blatantly states that

OW - No that's not what that means. I win

Later on...

CIA - We won't be able to sin in Heaven

OW - Yes we will

CIA - *post numerous verses that show why we won't be able to sin in heaven and compares scripture with scripture

OW - *posts no scripture. No cause that would mean there's no free will in Heaven. I win.

Yeah...you certainly know everything.

---
-JESUS
SAVES
#8OzymandiasIVPosted 8/5/2011 2:37:20 PM
The only thing I can think of that really "stumps" me is how Christians can rationalize the utterly horrible things God has done in the Bible.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#9kozlo100Posted 8/5/2011 2:39:34 PM
In OW's defense, I have never seen him stumped on a biblical issue. I've even tried to catch him out on a few things here and there, and the error has always been mine. Not that I think he knows everything, but he does back up what he says in a consistent manner.

You'd also do well to remember you disagreeing with his theology is not equivalent to him being wrong about what his theology says on a given issue.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#10CIA911Posted 8/5/2011 2:51:43 PM(edited)
You'd also do well to remember you disagreeing with his theology is not equivalent to him being wrong about what his theology says on a given issue.

Yeah...except when the Bible says something different than what he's trying to say...that's not disagreeing, that's simply showing him that God says otherwise. The Bible is the authority, not OW. And you always must compare scripture with scripture. And I clearly showed him in another topic why he was wrong, and he just dodged around it with stuff like "How do you know that means what it means?" and then I show him how we know by comparing scripture with scripture, and then "How do you know that's what he's saying ? Prove it". Then you can post more scripture and prove it, and then he goes "How do you know that's what it means?"...it's what he does. And someone that convinces people that he has the slightest clue what he's talking about. I guess it's impressive in a sense...but don't be fooled. He has been wrong before. Heck, ask all of the atheists about his "arguing" tactics. They have argued with him way more than I have.

---
-JESUS
SAVES