This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Roman legionaries invented Christianity?

#1OrnitierIXPosted 8/6/2011 5:32:14 AM
So. I've been reading Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce lately. The book is absolutely filled with allusions so Christianity (and Catholicism in particular), and the edition I'm reading is annotated to flesh out those references, but one footnote has me a bit puzzled:

The actual line in the book reads like this:

A quartet of them, soldiers of the ninetyseventh infantry regiment, sat at the foot of the cross and tossed up dice for the overcoat of the crucified.

And the footnote reads:

Ghezzi's (the character being spoken about) countrymen, the Italians, 'invented' Christianity in the symbolic dividing of Christ's garments at the foot of the Cross by Roman legionaries

The footnote doesn't have a biblical citation, like some of the other direct references to the Bible, so this leaves me thinking that the story may be outside the Bible, as part of a larger Catholic/Christian tradition. If it is part of the Bible, I wouldn't know where to find it, and I'm not familiar enough with it to just go look.

So my questions are:

Are you familiar with this story? Could you explain how dividing the garments symbolizes the creation of Christianity?

Is this story in the Bible? Could you point me to where (book, chapter)?
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#2OrangeWizardPosted 8/6/2011 6:31:09 AM
I don't get how the act of dividing Christ's garments would invent Christianity.
Maybe from a perspective of "Hey, I love this guy so much that I want to take his clothes" kind of way, like people do for celebrities in cartoons. Maybe that could be a form of worship.

John 19:23,24 BTW
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#3OrnitierIX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2011 7:05:38 AM
John 19:23,24 BTW

Ah, thank you.
---
#4OrnitierIX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2011 9:31:37 AM
Bump.
---
#5OrnitierIX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2011 9:41:08 AM
Let's see if anyone has an explanation today. Bump.
---