This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians: Define what makes someone a christian

#1Cornelious32Posted 8/6/2011 7:09:21 AM
I am interested in what Christians here define as christian.

To me, there are generally two definitions of "Christian" from Christians in the US.

1. A believer in the general teachings of the New Testament. Jesus is God incarnate, born through some sort of miracle, taught his gospel on Earth, performed miracles, gave his life to atone for mankind, was resurrected, and by following him we can live in Heaven.

2. A believer in a narrow and specific set of beliefs about the Bible, God, and Jesus Christ. Or very, very close to it. How close? It depends on how much the Baptists like you.
#2OrangeWizardPosted 8/6/2011 7:16:04 AM(edited)
I have one definition for Christians (#1), and another for True Christians (#2).
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#3KNessJMPosted 8/6/2011 7:49:40 AM
And out comes the self-righteousness.....
---
Quote of the Week: "Just thought I'd be a pal and bring you your butt medicine. You know, for your butt."
#4SirThinkALotPosted 8/6/2011 8:46:33 AM
Belief in the divinity of Jesus, his atoning death and ressurection....
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot
#5RetrotasticPosted 8/6/2011 8:59:49 AM
Two main points to be officially an orthodox Christian

1) Jesus was God in human form entering his own creation.

2) The resurrection occurred and it was physical.
#6DoGCyNPosted 8/6/2011 9:19:58 AM
Recognizing that Jesus Christ is God in the flesh and accepting Him as Lord and Savior. Repentance (turn away from your sins and turn toward God).
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#7DagorhaPosted 8/6/2011 9:54:57 AM
this topic has the potential for great amusement. It's kind of interesting how, to be considered a Christian by Christians, one must believe that Jesus was God, as if that belief in of itself was somehow kosher... for the lack of a better word.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#8fudrickPosted 8/6/2011 9:57:02 AM
Dagorha posted...
this topic has the potential for great amusement. It's kind of interesting how, to be considered a Christian by Christians, one must believe that Jesus was God, as if that belief in of itself was somehow kosher... for the lack of a better word.

That's kind of the point of the religion.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#9RetrotasticPosted 8/6/2011 10:16:10 AM
one must believe that Jesus was God, as if that belief in of itself was somehow kosher

There are Arians, Gnostics, Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses who deny Jesus was God but they're all heretics and so don't really count of course.
#10DagorhaPosted 8/6/2011 10:18:46 AM
Being a non-christian i tend to consider anyone a Christian who says that they are. Far be it for me to tell them they aren't. With that said i usually toss in the vagueness of "follower of Jesus and/or his disciples" which is about as all inclusive as i think i can get.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut