This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for theists regarding prayer

#1_FalstaffPosted 8/8/2011 12:09:13 PM
I was going to post this in another topic, but it was removed. My interest was piqued in that topic in which it was claimed that "many" people hear a voice in their head when they speak to God, an actual voice that is not their own. For me this a fairly foreign idea. When I hear people say that they "speak with God," that registers as a metaphor for prayer. I don't automatically think that they asked God what to have for dinner and he literally said in their mind "Better go with the fish tonight. Save the chicken for tomorrow." I believe God mostly speaks through actions and more rarely through audible words, but my exposure to Christianity and other religions is perhaps limited. After all, I only know a few thousand of the billions of people who call themselves religious.

So this question goes out to theists of all religions that utilize prayer, not just Christianity. When you pray to God, do you hear a voice other than your own in your mind?

And if the answer is yes, out of all the actors that have portrayed God over the years, which voice was the closest?
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#2hunter_gohanPosted 8/8/2011 12:13:27 PM
Not a theist here, but if anyone is literally hearing voices in their heads then they need to see a psychiatrist so they can get the correct medication.
---
If you find yourself falling into madness -- dive. -Malkavian Clan Book 1st edition
#3RetrotasticPosted 8/8/2011 12:13:34 PM
And if the answer is yes, out of all the actors that have portrayed God over the years, which voice was the closest?

Something along the lines of Sean Connery.
#4KNessJMPosted 8/8/2011 12:23:38 PM
This makes me think of Sam Harris.

If someone prays into a hair-dryer to communicate with God and claims to receive answers back, they're a lunatic. Remove the hair-dryer and they're religious.
---
Quote of the Week: "Just thought I'd be a pal and bring you your butt medicine. You know, for your butt."
#5Icymane_ShadoPosted 8/8/2011 12:23:57 PM
hunter_gohan posted...
Not a theist here, but if anyone is literally hearing voices in their heads then they need to see a psychiatrist so they can get the correct medication.

Why?
---
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"
#6kozlo100Posted 8/8/2011 12:30:59 PM
Now, I did eventually become an atheist, so my opinion might not carry the most weight on this topic, but all the answers to prayers I ever received were of the inspiration of thought kind and never as an actual voice in my head. Though, as I said, I'm atheist now and I have provisionally concluded that these answers were all internal to myself. This is mostly based on the fact that I can get the same effect without involving spirituality or deities. Given that, one might argue that I never had a prayer really answered in the first place.

That said, in my conversations with the congregation of the churches I attended, it was always the same sort of situation. I've never known a person to claim to literally hear a voice in their head.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#7RetrotasticPosted 8/8/2011 12:32:35 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5346930.stm

There you go, perfectly normal. They're not hearing God though, unless the voice sounds like Sean Connery.
#8black spiderPosted 8/8/2011 12:35:43 PM
Why?
Because hearing voices is a strong symptom of schizophrenia. Other symptoms include a failing grasp of reality, being completely incoherent when scrutinized for more than a few minutes at a time, awkward social reactions, and serious problems thinking logically.
#9kozlo100Posted 8/8/2011 12:39:43 PM
I thought schizophrenia usually manifests with voices coming from external sources, and not in your own head. Stuff like God talking to you through the static on the TV, or the government giving you orders via the flickering in a fluorescent light.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#10fudrickPosted 8/8/2011 12:40:29 PM
I hear voices, but I'm not a theist. They're usually just yelling my name over and over, or weird moaning noises. It happens most often when I'm trying to sleep, but sometimes I'll just be sitting there and suddenly it sounds like someone is screaming my name in the next room.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious