This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Salvation: a one time choice or a journey?

#11Ininja2000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2011 3:10:42 PM
^God point. However there are verses in Hebrews (I believe 6 and 10) that do talk about "falling away" and "drifting away." The book of Revelation also talks about those whose names will "Not be blotted out of the book of life" which implies that names can be blotted out.

Like I said, I'm undecided but there's strong arguments for both.
---
For the wages of sin is death but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. ~ Romans 6:23
#12Starwing6Posted 8/9/2011 4:35:44 PM
My theory is that I would rather be careful and live faithfully for Christ and be told that OSAS is true at the judgment than to not live faithfully for Christ and end up losing my salvation and going to Hell on the judgment because conditional security ended up being true.
---
Are you a good person? Are you ready to face a Holy God?
http://www.NeedGod.com/
#13CIA911Posted 8/9/2011 5:59:30 PM(edited)
^God point. However there are verses in Hebrews (I believe 6 and 10) that do talk about "falling away" and "drifting away." The book of Revelation also talks about those whose names will "Not be blotted out of the book of life" which implies that names can be blotted out.

Like I said, I'm undecided but there's strong arguments for both.

Those people that fall or drift away were never saved to begin with. When you receive the Holy Spirit as a result of salvation, you will have it forever. It is a guarantee of your inheritance:

Ephesians 1:13-14:

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

The word seal is used here to indicate that our inheritance is guaranteed if we have become saved. At the moment of salvation the Holy Spirit gives the believer a new resurrected soul in which he has eternal life. This, together with the fact that the Holy Spirit begins to indwell that person, is a seal or guarantee that God will complete the salvation of that individual.

We see the same sort of thing in Ephesians 4:30

And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

And Jesus tells us when we receive the "Comforter" in John 14:16, which refers to the Holy Ghost.

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

It is impossible for those who have truly been Born Again to fall away from God. I mean...your sins were already paid for. Jesus already died for them. How would that even work ? Does Jesus get a refund or something ?

---
-JESUS
SAVES
#14Ininja2000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2011 11:26:14 AM
So then what do you say about Hebrews 6:4-6 ?

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance.
---
For the wages of sin is death but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. ~ Romans 6:23
#15Starwing6Posted 8/10/2011 11:35:17 AM
I believe that only truly born-again Christians can share in the Holy Spirit, since the Bible says that those who don't have the Holy Spirit do not belong to Jesus Christ(Romans 8:9).

Hebrews 6:4-6 is also warning that it is possible for a Christian to fall away to the point that their heart gets too hard to be able to repent.
---
Are you a good person? Are you ready to face a Holy God?
http://www.NeedGod.com/
#16CIA911Posted 8/10/2011 9:06:33 PM
So then what do you say about Hebrews 6:4-6 ?

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance.

I would say that unless we realize the beginning of Hebrews 6 is referring the churches after their age ended (Which no one ever wants to even think is a possibility), then the verses I posted and what you posted shows a clear contradiction.
---
-JESUS
SAVES
#17Ininja2000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2011 9:28:32 PM
That's an interesting way to interpret it. Not necessarily wrong, but interesting.

It doesn't really reference churches though, the way it's written seems to refer to individuals. It also talks about how Christ cannot be sacrificed twice and when we go on sinning after receiving knowledge of the truth we crucify Christ a second time and trample his blood (Hebrews 10:26-29.)

Not to mention that when Jesus gave the parable of the sower and seeds he said that some (with no root) would "hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away."

Now, we could argue that the ones who fall away were never really saved in the first place, but then how do we know what it means to be saved in the first place?

In John 15:4 Jesus said "Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."

Why would we have to remain, if there is no chance we could fall away?

I'm not claiming to have answers, I just think it's less black and white than some make it out to be. I also think when we preach salvation, we should quit preaching it as a one time prayer to accept Jesus into your heart, but as a life choice to follow hard after Christ.

Not that we could work our way to heaven, but just that we make Jesus no. 1 priority, and not just our insurance policy.
---