This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What causes people who are terrible at evangelism to continue?

#1Hustle KongPosted 8/9/2011 11:01:05 AM
And is there any scriptural call for people... not gifted... in that way to maybe pursue other avenues? It seems like more harm is done in that case.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#2hunter_gohanPosted 8/9/2011 11:03:10 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
And is there any scriptural call for people... not gifted... in that way to maybe pursue other avenues? It seems like more harm is done in that case.

I have wondered this so many times. It's like they can't even tell they're making people less and less likely to want to covert.
---
If you find yourself falling into madness -- dive. -Malkavian Clan Book 1st edition
#3ElderMisanthropyPosted 8/9/2011 11:51:56 AM
Stupid people are loud and want attention.
---
Everyone knows that women are not equipped for golf or space travel. Space is a vacuum, not a place that needs to be vacuumed.
#4super_mop_manPosted 8/9/2011 12:12:20 PM
Didn't Ted Haggard go into hiding?
---
"Life is like a mop"
#5kozlo100Posted 8/9/2011 12:14:00 PM
Trolls aside, I think there is a certain lack of introspective ability in a segment of the evangelizing public. They don't know they're bad at it, and if you tell them they are, it's just the devil's work.

Thought that does make me wonder why these people's friends wouldn't try to help them out in this matter.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#6ElderMisanthropyPosted 8/9/2011 12:15:44 PM
Would the kind of person who goes to a college campus to yell bible passages for an hour really have the kind of friends that could discern proper social conduct?
---
Everyone knows that women are not equipped for golf or space travel. Space is a vacuum, not a place that needs to be vacuumed.
#7FoxTheSwiftPosted 8/9/2011 12:45:42 PM
kozlo100 posted...
Trolls aside, I think there is a certain lack of introspective ability in a segment of the evangelizing public. They don't know they're bad at it, and if you tell them they are, it's just the devil's work.

Thought that does make me wonder why these people's friends wouldn't try to help them out in this matter.

Well, if a person can't take constructive criticism, think about what kind of friends they'd surround themselves with. And much of Christianity is about surrounding oneself with likeminded people to begin with to so many of these evangelists.
#8kozlo100Posted 8/9/2011 12:48:42 PM
I suppose that is true.

Still, you'd think that even among a group of these people, they'd eventually get far enough away from themselves to see the low success rates in others, even if they cannot see their own.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#9Hustle Kong(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2011 1:25:22 PM
"Trolls aside, I think there is a certain lack of introspective ability in a segment of the evangelizing public. They don't know they're bad at it, and if you tell them they are, it's just the devil's work."

That depresses me.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#10cyclonekrusePosted 8/9/2011 2:15:34 PM
kozlo100 posted...
I suppose that is true.

Still, you'd think that even among a group of these people, they'd eventually get far enough away from themselves to see the low success rates in others, even if they cannot see their own.

I think they see the low success rate of their evangelism. However, if I had to guess, to them all this is proof for is how wicked the world is. I think they understand that much of the world is "lost" to them. But, I wager that they feel like "even if I only get through to one individual, then I've done something good." Further than that, some might feel satisfied even if they don't get through to anyone simply because they feel they are doing what God commanded. To them, it's less about saving people and more about being obedient (and getting saved themselves).
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"