This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christian T-shirts and bumper stickers

#1Starwing6Posted 8/9/2011 11:33:18 AM
OK, what do you think about wearing Christian T-shirts? I'm not talking about those that parody cultural icons, such as the "God is my Hero" Guitar Hero parody shirt, but rather Christian T-shirts that have a message on them, such as "Repent and follow Jesus" or something like that.

Do you think its an effective method of doing evangelism without going up to them and trying to strike up a conversation?
---
Are you a good person? Are you ready to face a Holy God?
http://www.NeedGod.com/
#2itslikePosted 8/9/2011 11:35:21 AM
No, it's not effective at all.

It's just like any other bumper stickers, or those damn jesus fish signs on cars.

Got myself a Darwin fish for my car, pretty nice.
---
The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail.
#3kozlo100Posted 8/9/2011 11:43:01 AM
No, I don't think it's a very effective form of evangelism, and particularly not in a nation like the USA, where a majority of the population is Christian, and Christianity is a large part of the culture.

Basically, there's nothing your T-shirt can say that anybody reading it doesn't already know. To boot, the nature of a t-shirt slogan is going to cheapen the message and make it seem trite.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#4WhereDidItGoPosted 8/9/2011 11:59:39 AM(edited)
I don't like them, but then again I don't care for the type of evangelizing that just throws scripture verses or slogans at people in general like signs or billboards either.
---
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. "
St. Francis of Assisi
#5CorduroyBearPosted 8/9/2011 6:02:14 PM
I pretty much hate when ANY religious related things are put on billboards or t-shirts. That goes for both atheists and Christians.
---
4 8 15 16 23 42
#6ExtremeDracoPosted 8/9/2011 9:07:30 PM
I remember a while back seeing a teenager wearing a dark shirt with a cross on it. (Catholic)The shirt had these words on it also:

"Pray for the persecuted church."

Those are the only words I remember.
What made it so humorous was due to the fact that I live in Texas...
---
"...if you ask me, there's a conspiracy surrounding the RT since it didn't drop until after TF3 reached a billion dollars."
- SeamusOHassey
#7TheRealJiraiyaPosted 8/9/2011 9:11:40 PM
I got a bunch of them at Wal-Mart for like 4 bucks.

My girlfriend thinks this is ironic.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#8FoxTheSwiftPosted 8/9/2011 9:56:18 PM
ExtremeDraco posted...
I remember a while back seeing a teenager wearing a dark shirt with a cross on it. (Catholic)The shirt had these words on it also:

It isn't really ironic, especially not in Protestant Texas. Catholics are persecuted in America. Not in any major sense, but other Christians do target them for conversions, refuse to participate in their interfaith dialogues, often would never vote them for president, make up absurd myths about them, usually involving the pope, ect.
#9TheRealJiraiyaPosted 8/9/2011 9:59:40 PM
FoxTheSwift posted...
ExtremeDraco posted...

It isn't really ironic, especially not in Protestant Texas. Catholics are persecuted in America. Not in any major sense, but other Christians do target them for conversions, refuse to participate in their interfaith dialogues, often would never vote them for president, make up absurd myths about them, usually involving the pope, ect.

as a Protestant Christian camp counselor in Texas, you would be astonished at how often I fonud myself explaining what Catholics are and how yes, they are Christians etc. Little kids find the divide between Catholics and Protestants (although most dont know the word "Protestant") confusing.

I use an analogy to describe the existence of different denominations to them, but rather than posting it here I think Ill make a new thread about it. Wait a moment.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#10the_hedonistPosted 8/9/2011 10:41:41 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
as a Protestant Christian camp counselor in Texas, you would be astonished at how often I fonud myself explaining what Catholics are and how yes, they are Christians etc. Little kids find the divide between Catholics and Protestants (although most dont know the word "Protestant") confusing.

I do not know exactly when and where it all started, but the idea that Catholics are not Christian is not limited to Protestant sources. I cannot count the number of times I have heard Catholics refer to themselves as Catholic as opposed to Christian. It seems to me to be a lack of education or knowledge moreso than an attempt to distance Catholicism from Protestantism (although that is certainly true in some cases).
---
Thumbs up for rock 'n' roll.
~The Christian Hedonist~