This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This is not meant as an attack...

#1bratt100Posted 8/11/2011 7:55:05 PM
But how do religious people who consider themselves rational, reconcile there beliefs with our scientific observations? Is there just a mental shutdown when presented with overwhelming evidence supporting a scientific claim?

You may believe that god exists and point to a book for your proof, where as the science minded can show you exactly how something happened, step by step, you can even do the experiments yourself and get the same repeatable results. Religion on the other hand has no repeatable or provable results, just corruption and inconsistency at every other turn.

Also if all good and bad is gods will then wouldn't all of our technology, science and advancements be gods will too? everything from stem cells to test tube babies?

If you are a believer then god gave you two eye's to see, two ears to listen and a brain to make sense of it all then wouldn't it be blasphemy to blindly follow when all of gods gifts entice you to seek out the machinery behind all his work? and shouldn't you be ashamed to assume god's work would be so simple as to create everything as it is? If that where the case you couldn't prove that you where alive yesterday or even a minute ago because god would have created the world as it is now, memories and all.

Please I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.
---
Thanks He-man
#2OogallyPosted 8/11/2011 8:02:43 PM
...what?
#3OLDHAGPosted 8/11/2011 8:07:26 PM
I'm having trouble understanding this as well.
I 'll only talk about the first bit, not every facet of life has to be rational, you know? I mean from a flawed human perspective.
---
Friend code 1676-3376-8453
#4mercuryinkPosted 8/11/2011 8:25:38 PM
Uh, believe it or not, not everyone who believes in G-d lives in Tennessee.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#5OrangeWizardPosted 8/11/2011 8:30:52 PM

where as the science minded can show you exactly how something happened, step by step

So, abiogenesis is a fact now?

If you are a believer then god gave you two eye's to see, two ears to listen and a brain to make sense of it all then wouldn't it be blasphemy to blindly follow when all of gods gifts entice you to seek out the machinery behind all his work?

Who says we aren't?

If that where the case you couldn't prove that you where alive yesterday or even a minute ago because god would have created the world as it is now, memories and all.

You can't prove this with science either, though.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#6bratt100(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2011 8:39:45 PM
I'm sorry I don't really understand the confusion. However this is kind of what I expected from religious people (not all just some). You ignore all of the points made and seek out only what you find relevant to yourselves and pretend the rest is invalid. Please argue the points and help me to at least understand why you think the things you do.
---
Thanks He-man
#7bsballa09Posted 8/11/2011 8:42:26 PM
I'm sorry I don't really understand the confusion. However this is kind of what I expected from religious people (not all just some). You ignore all of the points made and seek out only what you find relevant to yourselves and pretend the rest is invalid. Please argue the points and help me to at least understand why you think the things you do.

Well, first off, you can take back the generalization that all religious people don't believe in science when it "contradicts" their beliefs.
---
GameFAQs: Where asking a question about PS3 trophies on the PS3 board is considered off topic.
#8fudrickPosted 8/11/2011 8:46:39 PM
bsballa09 posted...
Well, first off, you can take back the generalization that all religious people don't believe in science when it "contradicts" their beliefs.

It would be difficult to take that back considering he never said or implied it.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#9bsballa09Posted 8/11/2011 8:48:02 PM
It would be difficult to take that back considering he never said or implied it.

First sentence:

But how do religious people who consider themselves rational, reconcile there beliefs with our scientific observations?

Would have been correct if he said some religious people.
---
GameFAQs: Where asking a question about PS3 trophies on the PS3 board is considered off topic.
#10OLDHAGPosted 8/11/2011 8:50:07 PM(edited)
I'm not religious @_@ you just write with an assumption people know what you're talking about. You even did it again by assuming I was religious just because you assumed everyone in this topic who would reply was religious.
---
Friend code 1676-3376-8453