This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How relevant is the Old Testament for Christians?

#1OrnitierIXPosted 8/14/2011 6:05:25 AM
I've seen this creep up in a few threads, and I thought a thread dedicated to the subject might be productive.

For Christians, how much of the Old Testament applies? More specifically, but not necessarily always limited to, the laws given to Moses. I'm not very well-versed in the Bible, so I don't have an opinion, but I've seen arguments made that run the gambit from "none of it" to "every single word".

So where do you stand on this?
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#2dnLpkPosted 8/14/2011 6:21:30 AM
Lots of the OT applies to us. Although most of the literal "Law" is outdated by cultural differences you can still derive insight from them, as well as from the stories of the patriarchs, the prophets, king David/Solomon, and from the proverbs. I personally prefer the NT over the OT because the OT mostly just shoves it down your throats while the NT explains the context/reason why some of the advice given are followed. Both of the testaments however essentially share the same Christian core except they're revealed in two very different methods.
---
billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!
#3SilviiroPosted 8/14/2011 8:22:15 AM
The Law was given only to the Jews and not the Gentiles. Most Christians are Gentiles and as such the Law never applied to them.
---
"I have offended God and mankind because my work didn't reach the quality it should have." -- Leonardo da Vinci
#4actarusPosted 8/14/2011 8:37:13 AM
Every mayor OT personage is called or quoted except Esther
http://mb-soft.com/believe/txh/ntot.htm
The style and culture is the same as in the Old Testament.

The New covenant made an end of the Priesthood (Jesus is our High Priest) and rituals but NOT the Law.

If you want to break the prophetic code in Revelation need you to search by keywords in the whole Bible.

The "Day of the Lord" by the Prophets is about the Last Year in the End Time.

"Song of Songs" is an allegory of the marriage of the woman( God's people / Church) with the Lamb (Jesus / Messiah) in Revelation.

For real Christians is the Old Testament very important.
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#5DiranosaurPosted 8/14/2011 8:48:49 AM
It SHOULD be very important to Christians as Jesus didn't abolish the law, but fulfilled, completed, it. Everything that Jesus didn't change should still apply.
---
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
Mandolin - Flute - Bouzouki/Nyckelharpa - Guitar
#6actarusPosted 8/14/2011 9:21:56 AM(edited)
Diranosaur posted...
It SHOULD be very important to Christians as Jesus didn't abolish the law, but fulfilled, completed, it. Everything that Jesus didn't change should still apply.

I don't think that an atheist like you SHOULD tell us what we must belief or do

Another thing is that you misquoted. Matthew 5:17
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them..
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#7actarusPosted 8/14/2011 9:20:52 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8mercuryinkPosted 8/14/2011 9:46:04 AM(edited)
I don't think that an atheist like you SHOULD tell us what we must belief or do

Hm.
misquoted Matthew 5:17
Oh, that's rich. Riiiiiich.
An atheist can't tell you what to do?
How about a Jew? A Jew like... I dunno.. Jesus? Here's a continuation of that thing you quoted, the parts Christians always conveniently leave off for some reason. I can't imagine why.
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Thanks for making room for us, I guess?
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#9OrnitierIX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 9:47:04 AM
until everything is accomplished

What is Jesus referring to here?
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#10mercuryinkPosted 8/14/2011 9:52:41 AM
Off the top of my head, the Messianic Age, the ultimate goal of any decent Messiah.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003