This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

question about Christianity and the mentally handicapped

#1MajinCellJrPosted 8/20/2011 1:32:52 PM
Just something I thought about earlier. What happens with the more severe cases where they would be unable to accept Jesus as savior? What happens when they pass on?

Sorry if it's been brought up before, but I don't remember what was said about these situations.
---
blah blah blah
#2Burning_WolfXPosted 8/20/2011 1:40:35 PM
They can't be blamed for their mental condition. What comes to my mind is perhaps someone else making a confession of faith for that person, then they are received as Christians. It's like how we receive infants, but with a mentally-handicapped person instead.
---
Proud member of the Valiant Brawlers. Brawl code: 3050-9471-7656
Currently playing: Brawl, Okami
#3CIA911Posted 8/20/2011 1:50:26 PM
What happens with the more severe cases where they would be unable to accept Jesus as savior? What happens when they pass on?

First we must remember that accepting Jesus as our savior in no way shape or form contributes to our Salvation, as all of the other works we do don't either. Mentally handicapped people have just as much chance to be saved even if they cannot understand a single thing. All they need to do is hear the Word of God, which as the Bible teaches, is how we become in the faith, and they will be saved. Accepting Jesus as your savior is one of the many false things that the churches teach. If God chose to save them, rest assured, I don't think he's going to be like "**** they can't understand what's going on how can I reach them?"...when they pass on, they will go to Heaven. Just like any other person God chose to save.
---
-JESUS
SAVES
#4DagorhaPosted 8/20/2011 2:27:18 PM
CIA's god seems very arbitrary to me.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#5ledzepfan15Posted 8/20/2011 2:37:26 PM
All they need to do is hear the Word of God,

What if they are deaf?
---
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro
#6CIA911Posted 8/20/2011 3:58:07 PM
What if they are deaf?

God's elect have spiritual ears. God isn't incapable of having a deaf person hear him, or a dead person hear him for that matter, like Lazarus. If a deaf person is elect, at some point in his life he will be in the presence of the Word of God, and even if he can't hear the words with his regular ears, his spiritual ears will hear, and the Holy Spirit will enter him.
---
-JESUS
SAVES
#7Weird onePosted 8/20/2011 5:05:19 PM
As I understand it they would fall under the same category that little children do.

Those who for whatever reason age, mental/emotional disabilities, etc. who cannot comprehend the Gospel are not held to the same standard that the rest of humanity is. Remember our God is a just God.
---
Mathematical puns are the first sine of madness.
#8PatriotwolfPosted 8/21/2011 12:07:58 AM
Dagorha posted...
CIA's god seems very arbitrary to me.

I'm inclined to agree with you a bit on that
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#9BashyMcFetusPosted 8/21/2011 12:57:48 AM
Those who for whatever reason age, mental/emotional disabilities, etc. who cannot comprehend the Gospel are not held to the same standard that the rest of humanity is.

So why not end their life as soon as possible so they can't go to hell?
---
By Evolution, I mean Evolution. As in "I look different from my parents because of evolution" ~OrangeWizard
#10Weird onePosted 8/21/2011 7:31:32 AM
So why not end their life as soon as possible so they can't go to hell?

Because having a disability doesn't mean you can't have a life. Many people with mental disabilities have supportive family and friends, some even hold jobs depending on the nature of their disability.

We've come a long way since the dark days where mentally disabled people were sent to institutions never to be heard from again. We've made great strides in incorporating the intellectually disabled, mentally ill, and emotionally ill in our society through law, advocacy, support, and education.
---
Mathematical puns are the first sine of madness.