This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To atheists: What do you attribute to not having evil rule the world?

#1bsballa09Posted 8/22/2011 8:44:03 AM
We've had many times where evil has tried to take over the world, in which they were willing to do anything to do it. What do you attribute to good always beating evil? The will of good humans? Luck? This isn't a question of G-d doing it as most religious people would probably say, I'm just curious as to what you think.
---
GameFAQs: Where asking a question about PS3 trophies on the PS3 board is considered off topic.
#2OnceInALifeTimePosted 8/22/2011 8:50:18 AM
Good triumphs over evil? No it doesn't. Our notions of good and evil in conflicts are decided by the media anyway: in WW2, did the good guys REALLY win? Yeah the other side was pretty horrible, but the hand of history has made us look like saints who fought the good fight and were the righteous heroes. Or Lincoln and the emancipation of slaves you Yanks love so much...you actually believe he did what he did for "good" and to vanquish "evil"?

To say good always triumphs over evil is romanticising your cultures victories, nothing more.
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#3TheRealJiraiyaPosted 8/22/2011 8:51:55 AM
OnceInALifeTime posted...
Good triumphs over evil? No it doesn't. Our notions of good and evil in conflicts are decided by the media anyway: in WW2, did the good guys REALLY win? Yeah the other side was pretty horrible, but the hand of history has made us look like saints who fought the good fight and were the righteous heroes. Or Lincoln and the emancipation of slaves you Yanks love so much...you actually believe he did what he did for "good" and to vanquish "evil"?

To say good always triumphs over evil is romanticising your cultures victories, nothing more.

Wait, you think its just uneducated ethnocentrism to consider it a good thing that the Nazis lost the war?

I mean, no side is ever 100% good or 100% evil, but we were the pretty clear "good guys" in WW2.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#4bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2011 8:56:53 AM
Oh for **** sakes, I knew the topic was going to turn into "There is no such thing as good or evil", but I left out saying don't turn this topic into that because I took a chance, and the very first post was it. Everyone ignore OnceInALifeTimes post please or I will close the topic, and remake a new one.
---
GameFAQs: Where asking a question about PS3 trophies on the PS3 board is considered off topic.
#5kozlo100Posted 8/22/2011 8:58:12 AM
I believe that humans are, at a basic level, good. Generally speaking, of course, but your average person is a good person. Good wins because it's who we are. True evil is an aberration.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#6bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2011 8:59:11 AM
Oh, and TGJ, you don't have to do it anymore. Thanks anyway.
---
#7OnceInALifeTimePosted 8/22/2011 9:17:05 AM
Wait, you think its just uneducated ethnocentrism to consider it a good thing that the Nazis lost the war?

No, I'm saying that it isn't as clear cut as "good versus evil". I don't think you can look at what happened from the end of WW1 to the end of WW2 and say "those guys were paragons of good".

Oh for **** sakes, I knew the topic was going to turn into "There is no such thing as good or evil", but I left out saying don't turn this topic into that because I took a chance, and the very first post was it. Everyone ignore OnceInALifeTimes post please or I will close the topic, and remake a new one.

Talk about throwing your toys out of the pram. You asked "how do you explain good triumphs over evil" and I answer "it doesn't". No need to cry.
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#8fudrickPosted 8/22/2011 9:19:18 AM
OnceInALifeTime posted...
Or Lincoln and the emancipation of slaves you Yanks love so much...you actually believe he did what he did for "good" and to vanquish "evil"?

Just so you know, Lincoln didn't actually free the slaves. But that's another discussion.

As for this topic, I do agree with OnceInALifeTime to some extent. I mean, in WWII, the USA did drop the most powerful bombs ever on civilians and murdered like 200,000 people. That's pretty f***ed up, but we always act like the other guy is the bad guy.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#9Hustle KongPosted 8/22/2011 9:19:57 AM
What kozlo said.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#10TomPettyIsGodPosted 8/22/2011 9:21:24 AM
What do you attribute to good always beating evil?

Good doesn't always beat evil. When it does, it because of nothing more than the hard work and sacrifice of good people, and has nothing to do with your buddy in the clouds.
---
http://i.imgur.com/uln2N.jpg
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3237/1284683625869.jpg