This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinions on strong atheists?

#1super_mop_manPosted 8/23/2011 1:06:18 PM
This is just for the strong to militant types. I personally don't mind the more moderate ones so let's just share our thoughts on the more aggressive atheists.
---
"Life is like a mop"
#2DienekesPosted 8/23/2011 1:10:10 PM
When people refer to "strong" and "weak" atheism, I don't think they're talking about how hostile/militant their attitude is.
---
"Man is unhappy because he doesn't know he's happy. . . . If anyone finds out he'll become happy at once" --Dostoevsky
#3KNessJMPosted 8/23/2011 1:13:43 PM
^Yeah, depends on what you mean by "strong".
---
Quote of the Week: "[CENSORED]"
#4OnceInALifeTimePosted 8/23/2011 1:45:18 PM
If you mean strong atheist in the sense of "there is definitely no god", then they are just as wrong as those who claim "there definitely is a god". In terms of aggressiveness I think you have to take it in context, although I will say this: I hate it when people try to convert me, and so I don't try and convert other people. I only talk about religion when it's thrust in my face.

I think the militant atheist is very much an internet construct, though, and find the term hilarious. A militant atheist is somebody who is very aggressive with their views...a militant theist is somebody who bombs abortion clinics. If you want to talk about aggressiveness and religion it's very often the theist-side of the argument that is aggressive.
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#5DiranosaurPosted 8/23/2011 2:38:37 PM
I don't like strong atheists, as there might exist a god. To me, both deism, pantheism and the matrix (aka we live in a computer simulation) sound like possible concepts.
---
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
Mandolin - Flute - Bouzouki/Nyckelharpa - Guitar
#6fudrickPosted 8/23/2011 2:45:59 PM
Diranosaur posted...
To me, both deism, pantheism and the matrix (aka we live in a computer simulation) sound like possible concepts.

Agreed, both of those three things are possible.

<.<
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#7super_mop_man(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2011 2:51:37 PM
Well I would certainly consider someone like Enver Hoxha or Stalin a militant atheist. I do agree that it is funny when someone tries to paint Dawkins or Harris as militant as they haven't done anything remotely militant.
---
"Life is like a mop"
#8fudrickPosted 8/23/2011 3:01:50 PM
super_mop_man posted...
Well I would certainly consider someone like Enver Hoxha or Stalin a militant atheist. I do agree that it is funny when someone tries to paint Dawkins or Harris as militant as they haven't done anything remotely militant.

Did Stalin ever say anything about doing what he did because of his atheism?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#9PhiZZiZlePosted 8/23/2011 3:21:23 PM
fudrick posted...
super_mop_man posted...

Did Stalin ever say anything about doing what he did because of his atheism?

Certainly
---
God made police so that firefighters could have heroes.
#10KNessJMPosted 8/23/2011 3:24:45 PM
I don't like strong atheists, as there might exist a god.

I consider myself a strong atheist, but I don't claim to know for certain. It's merely my belief that there is no god (i.e. a positive assertion, rather than just a lack of belief in a god).

The notion that the "strong atheist" considers their views to be infallible is a myth, I think. I really don't ever hear anyone making that claim.
---
Quote of the Week: "[CENSORED]"