This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Jesus is God, why would Jesus speak with and pray to God?

#1DiranosaurPosted 8/26/2011 1:48:29 AM
If he and God were the same instead of only being father and son, why would Jesus pray to God? Praying to himself doesn't make too much sense to me.

I know that many Christian denominations agree with this, so this topic is for the ones that don't.
---
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
Mandolin - Flute - Bouzouki/Nyckelharpa - Guitar
#2actarusPosted 8/26/2011 2:23:12 AM
Because Jesus is the incarnation of the Word(Logos).
The Word is a part of God.

v Not a mainstream view but correct
http://www.cogwriter.com/jesusgod.htm
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#3CIA911Posted 8/26/2011 2:41:34 AM(edited)
It is impossible for us to understand how that is possible, how the Trinity works that is. But the best I can put it is...try to think of a puzzle, and they are 2 out of the 3 separate pieces that make up that 1 puzzle. The one piece has his own personality and can be in a separate place than the other, and the other piece can as well. But it's all the same puzzle. And each piece is also the same puzzle as the 3 pieces make.

Again...impossible to understand how all 3 of them can be God and yet are only 1 God at the same time, but it's how the Bible presents it. Anyone who denies Jesus is God has not read the Bible, they rather take the verses that show he is God and try to put ridiculous spins on it on why that's not the case.

I'm also pretty sure you can find the exact answer to your question on the internet somewhere.

---
-JESUS
SAVES
#4Master CilanderPosted 8/26/2011 6:39:44 AM(edited)
actarus posted...

v Not a mainstream view but correct

That isn't mainstream?

Regardless, I always viewed it as the 'Father' being a more impersonal force, like the force from star wars. And Christ being its physical self represented, and far more personal as well. I see the Father as more of a force of nature almost. That's the simplest way I can summarize my view.
---
I make it look easy.
#5JuliaGillardPosted 8/26/2011 6:48:01 AM
Ask a Catholic, they created the entire Holy Trinity thing. They would know.
#6Master CilanderPosted 8/26/2011 7:07:39 AM(edited)
JuliaGillard posted...
Ask a Catholic, they created the entire Holy Trinity thing. They would know.

That's another thing I never understood.

Why is the Holy Spirit considered a complete 3rd entity by so many people? I just see it as God's spirit. Everyone has a spirit, why wouldn't God? How does it have its own will exactly? Did people just force it to make a nice 3 way image?

So I've been doing some reading, I think I'm what is called a Binitarian. Everything has to have a pretentious label, doesn't it?
---
I make it look easy.
#7DagorhaPosted 8/26/2011 7:09:21 AM
That would be my guess. Holy Trinity sounds better then Holy Duo. But really, God the father, God the son and God the spirit are three seperate but equal things that make up God. The best way i can think of it is like a Chimera with 3 heads. Sure each head is different but they still make up one Chimera. Except in the case of God they exist independently of each other.

All in all it's quite confusing and the whole trinity thing reeks of polytheism but hey if all else fails just quote Kierkegaard and say that they are separate gods but they are really just one god. In essence admit it's a paradox but accept it anyway because God told you to and divine providence trumps everything absolutely.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#8DagorhaPosted 8/26/2011 7:09:25 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9Master CilanderPosted 8/26/2011 7:34:08 AM(edited)
I've been reading that the earliest Christians were Binitarians. It seems the most natural conclusion to come to without being taught otherwise, so it makes sense. I see the Holy Spirit as God's method of inspiration. It's God's essence, I don't see how that makes it into some new entity.

But now I'm reading binitarians think they'll ascend to godhood or something. Why do people always add random crap into their beliefs?
---
I make it look easy.
#10Chaos ScadePosted 8/26/2011 7:32:21 AM
actarus posted...

It would be more accurate to say that the Logos is an attribute of the Father with its own personhood.
---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg