This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where faith comes in: Why not a trickster god?

#1Far421Posted 8/27/2011 6:40:27 AM
Even given as strong assumptions as, say, "God exists and the Bible is the word of god," it seems a lot more reasonable to think that god is lying to us than to accept all the contradictions and ludicrous rules of the Bible. An omnibenevolent god has plenty of reason to lie, too: by lying about there being a hell (if there is none) he can get people to behave less malevolently while alive even if we are all destined for eternal bliss after death. Can anyone of you theists argue against the possiblity that god is lying to you through your holy books? I can't really imagine how without asserting baseless assumptions.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#2OrangeWizardPosted 8/27/2011 7:20:25 AM
If an omnipotent, omniscient being was tricking us, we'd never be able to find out unless he wanted us to.

Even if a barely powerful supernatural being was tricking us, we'd likely never be able to find out.

Believing that God is not tricking is requires as much effort as believing that you'll be able to exit your house without a meteorite turning you into a crater.

Also, there are no contradictions or ludicrous rules in the bible.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#3Faust_8Posted 8/27/2011 8:41:15 AM
Still, all he's saying is that you can't dismiss the possibility.

So any time anyone says "god is ___" we could easily say "perhaps not."
---
My understanding of reality is contingent...on reality.
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#4fudrickPosted 8/27/2011 8:56:26 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
Also, there are no contradictions or ludicrous rules in the bible.

Lol, you're still saying this?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#5OrangeWizardPosted 8/27/2011 11:15:09 AM

Still, all he's saying is that you can't dismiss the possibility.

You can't dismiss the possibility of a lot of things, like the possibility that there's an invisible space crab right behind you, trying to eat your brain, but that doesn't mean you should worry about it.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
#6Faust_8Posted 8/27/2011 12:21:34 PM
True, but it also means you shouldn't assume that any statement you make about god is 100% truth and nothing else should ever be considered.
---
My understanding of reality is contingent...on reality.
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#7JuliaGillardPosted 8/27/2011 12:29:13 PM
Well God gives us ALL free will and more than enough food/water on the Earth to sustain us all. It is sad there are people in the world who are starving. Here in the USA, i believe we take much for granted.
There are challenges that come from others, but I believe TC is onto something. What if God trolls us from time to time? Just to, ya know, see how strong our faith in Him/Her/It is. Possible?
#8OrangeWizardPosted 8/27/2011 12:42:55 PM

True, but it also means you shouldn't assume that any statement you make about god is 100% truth and nothing else should ever be considered.

Until someone comes up with any basis to consider any alternatives, I have no reason to do so, just like you don't believe in God because you don't have any reason to do so.
---
#9ledzepfan15Posted 8/27/2011 5:42:35 PM
Until someone comes up with any basis to consider any alternatives, I have no reason to do so, just like you don't believe in God because you don't have any reason to do so.

There are alternatives, you just prefer to believe in god. We don't believe in god because apologetic arguments are rarely ever sound.
---
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro
#10OrangeWizardPosted 8/27/2011 5:47:30 PM

There are alternatives

I said "Until someone comes up with any basis to consider any alternatives."
---