This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where faith comes in: Why not a trickster god?

#71OrangeWizardPosted 8/29/2011 8:30:12 PM

I have a confession to make. Occasionally trivially miswritten topic tiles stick in my head, and I feel I have to address them. I realize that this topic is about the possibility of the Christian god being a liar, but please indulge my eccentricities a moment here.

The concept of a trickster god is a specific one, and the Christian god as liar does not fit that archetype. Coyote, Raven, leprechauns, Loki, even Brer Rabbit, these are tricksters. Even in the case that the Christian god is a liar, he is not a trickster god.

There, I feel better now.

Thank you for pointing that out. It was amusing. I chuckled.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#72Faust_8Posted 8/29/2011 8:33:07 PM
A charlatan/lying/deceiver/fake/ass god then?
---
Being skeptical of science is being skeptical of skepticism.
The future that we find together is greater than the assumptions of our past.
#73JonWood007Posted 8/29/2011 8:57:33 PM
Well, this is where the idea that the Bible is the literal word of God and that every word is absolute truth becomes problematic.

The Bible may have been inspired by God (in my belief), but it was written by men. Many books were actually arguing with one another. Compare James' message of salvation (faith without works is dead) compared to Paul's (Cannot be justified by works, but by faith).

If you accept every single word, you get a really confusing salvation message IMO. Works cant justify you, only God can. But then, faith without works is dead and you can lose your salvation if you are bad. Or they throw the argument that you werent saved to begin with around. But then since our works suck anyway and we suck even at our best, we need faith. Contradictory, contradictory, contradictory. When you come down to it, you gotta accept one view or the other, or come up with some sort of combo that actually makes sense (and many do not).

I encourage everyone to read the bible in their own way and come to their own conclusions. I have no issues with people not accepting parts of the Bible if they have sufficient reason not to. You cant accept it all, if you do, you're trying to come up with a holistic point of view from multiple, conflicting viewpoints, which just does not work.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: Celeron 900 | 3 GB DDR2 | GMA 4500m | 250 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#74OrangeWizardPosted 8/29/2011 9:06:06 PM

Compare James' message of salvation (faith without works is dead) compared to Paul's (Cannot be justified by works, but by faith).

Not only are these books not arguing with each-other, they are not contradictory at all.

One cannot do enough works to EARN salvation, so that you deserve it. It cannot be earned. It is a gift. It is given to whom God wants to give it. That's what Paul is saying.

Paul was also talking about something completely different. He was talking about the Jews who followed the law to the letter, and how even they weren't saved. This is a rebuttal to that argument.

There's nothing contradictory about it.

I encourage everybody to get actual answers to the questions they have, rather than just stopping as soon as something doesn't look right.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops