This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

An interesting Q&A regarding atheism and science.

#1Icymane_ShadoPosted 8/27/2011 6:47:22 PM
http://creation.com/lucy-atheism-science
---
"When it's grown-up time and there are serious decisions to be made, you're supposed to leave god at the door." - squareandrare, a true Atheist
#2TheLesserFaithXPosted 8/27/2011 6:54:39 PM
http://myfacewhen.com/images/202.gif
---
http://i.imgur.com/shH52.jpg
Evolution is a scientific fact with tons of conclusive evidence: http://goo.gl/hWwzO
#3Faust_8Posted 8/27/2011 7:00:59 PM
Oh hey look, another extremely biased, agenda-ed, self-serving link.

You honestly think a site like that is fair to all viewpoints?

And yet every time I make an argument like this you simply ignore me and keep on doing the same damn useless thing. No one takes these links you post seriously.
---
My understanding of reality is contingent...on reality.
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#4Icymane_Shado(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2011 7:03:03 PM
It's a never-ending cycle.

> I post interesting articles regarding Creation vs. Evolution
> Many atheists don't even read the article and just troll
> A few people secretly read it and come away slightly wiser for it

So keep on hatin' Faust.
---
"When it's grown-up time and there are serious decisions to be made, you're supposed to leave god at the door." - squareandrare, a true Atheist
#5NsM ComatosisPosted 8/27/2011 7:03:38 PM
Man, I gave OW crap the other day for refusing to read links, but I must say, I kinda agree with him when I encounter topics like these. "Here's a link for you all to read, and I will make no effort whatsoever to present an argument. The link will do all the work for me."

*note to self: Avoid doing this in the future.*
---
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter
#6NsM ComatosisPosted 8/27/2011 7:15:43 PM
Ignore for a moment the powerful testimony of the Bible, cemented by Christ’s historically well attested Resurrection. What about all the other evidence against the entire goo to you evolution story? Now look at the big picture in another sense. Look at the massive amount of hugely complex biological machinery in the world, including our brain that has now been shown to have more switches and connections than all the world’s computers attached to the internet; what is more rational to believe about it; that it emanated from a rational, omnipotent, intelligent creator, or that hydrogen turned into all this with just the physical laws, time and chance?

*facepalm*

Also,

If there were no gorillas left in the world, and the only creatures found in the fossil record similar to man were modern gorillas, then being the only candidates, I have no doubt that these would be hyped as very, very significant for human evolution, seeing as they are so anatomically similar.

*facepalm pt. 2*

Gorillas ARE significant to explain human evolution. Aside from being anatomically similar, they're nearly identical to humans genetically. All great apes (minus humans) have 48 chromosomes, while humans have 46. Scientists predicted that this was due to a pair of chromosomes having fused together, and experiment proved them right. Human chromosome #2 shows all the signs of it being the result of fusion, because its DNA makeup is different from all other human chromosomes.

I hate to sound like I'm parroting the same stuff (because this is what I told OW in the other topic), but apparently not enough people have heard of this.
---
#7Faust_8Posted 8/27/2011 7:17:00 PM
By all means, post interesting articles concerning evolution.

It's just that you never have yet. Newsflash creation.com is not a reliable source. It would be like going to a KKK meeting to try to get an unbiased view about African-Americans. You're not ever going to get the full story, or a neutral view. You're going to get quote-mining, purposely leaving things out, sugar coating one side, and so on.

I like how you assume that you're apparently secretly spreading knowledge when you said yourself it's a secret if you do.

"I just KNOW people are learning from this, they're just not saying so!" --Shado's ego

"Anything not praising my link and my initiative is trolling." --Shado's ego again

I wouldn't be so confrontational if it wasn't like the 30th time you've done this. I'm also far from the only person who thinks this, or has said this. I'm just the most consistent at it.

If you're going to fault people for not taking unreliable sources seriously, you shouldn't be on the internet.
---
My understanding of reality is contingent...on reality.
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#8OrangeWizardPosted 8/27/2011 7:32:50 PM

I hate to sound like I'm parroting the same stuff (because this is what I told OW in the other topic), but apparently not enough people have heard of this.

I said someone in another topic once that I didn't say about this evidence: God isn't that creative. When he makes something new he just slightly changes what he made before. However, he's still creative enough to create the vast differences in life.

Also, I'm skeptical of something just combining some chromosomes and coming up with something completely different. It can't be that simple to create new species.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#9fudrickPosted 8/27/2011 7:54:20 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
Also, I'm skeptical of something just combining some chromosomes and coming up with something completely different. It can't be that simple to create new species.

As if the fusing of those chromosomes was the only genetic difference between humans and other great apes.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#10NsM ComatosisPosted 8/27/2011 8:00:48 PM(edited)
OrangeWizard posted...
I said someone in another topic once that I didn't say about this evidence: God isn't that creative. When he makes something new he just slightly changes what he made before. However, he's still creative enough to create the vast differences in life.

We're not completely different, and it's not just the one chromosome that makes all the difference--nevermind that one chromosome actually makes a huge difference. Something like 90% of DNA is nearly identical across all organisms out there (though I don't remember where I read this, so I might be completely wrong). Plus, we didn't evolve from gorillas, both gorillas and humans evolved from something else.

Virtually all dogs nowadays are a result of selective breeding by humans, and it's estimated that all of them evolved from the gray wolf starting some 15,000 years ago. While not considered a different species, it's not unreasonable to think that further selective breeding could render some dogs unable to reproduce with others (such as physical limitations that would prevent a Great Dane from mating with a Chihuahua, for example). This is one of the main attributes that makes species different from one another.
---