This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Be fruitful and increase in number.."

#1TheRealJiraiyaPosted 8/28/2011 12:41:25 PM
od blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it...."

Mission accomplished, God. Why do I still see people citing this verse as a reason why they need to have a bunch of babies? The earth is filled. The earth is subdued. We have increased in number, and I feel like we have done what God commanded us to do, you know? He told Adam and Eve that because he wanted the earth filled, he told Noah that after destroying the earths population, but it was with an end goal in mind, to create a human population, which we have done.

Do yall agree that we have moved past the point of this command applying to us?
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#2TheRealJiraiya(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2011 12:43:35 PM
I dont know how common it is, someone I know said it the other day, though, that it was important that we (humans) keep having lots of children because of this command. I think thats silly.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#32ndSamuraiPosted 8/28/2011 12:50:53 PM
You just need two, not ten. But if you wan't ten, then G-d bless you.
---
SSBB: 3609 0740 5203 SMASH
http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/jew-jitsu-demotivational-poster.jpg
#4SilviiroPosted 8/28/2011 1:04:16 PM
We must make more children so we can take to the stars! *reads more sci-fi*
---
"I have offended God and mankind because my work didn't reach the quality it should have." -- Leonardo da Vinci
#5fudrickPosted 8/28/2011 1:06:32 PM
2ndSamurai posted...
You just need two, not ten. But if you wan't ten, then G-d bless you.

What do you mean by "need"?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#6Infamous681Posted 8/28/2011 1:42:03 PM
Yes I agree. Over population is killing this planet. All our resources will be used up if this trend continues.
---
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1715/cbco.png
#7FlashOfLightPosted 8/28/2011 5:11:40 PM
That command is not a temporary one, since along with it - he also promised to make Abraham's seed as the stars of heaven in multitude, and in the New Testament he promises that eye has not seen nor ear heard what God has in store for those who love him, and we see the continuance of this basic promise being fulfilled daily in our times because we have more benefits than the previous generations before us (under a Western World).

The earth isn't even close to being filled yet, not by a long shot, and the majority of the world's population gathers in to one central location under coastal cities. So, in short, the commandment is still in effect, and God's will is that the population reaches astronomical numbers.
---
I'm on the internet, I'm not real!
#8bsballa09Posted 8/28/2011 5:22:04 PM
I plan on having a bunch of children (maybe around 5+), but not for the reason of that verse.
---
Saying "old" to information under 3 - 5 days old makes you look like an ass.
People who agree: 3
#9fudrickPosted 8/28/2011 5:33:22 PM
FlashOfLight posted...
That command is not a temporary one, since along with it - he also promised to make Abraham's seed as the stars of heaven in multitude, and in the New Testament he promises that eye has not seen nor ear heard what God has in store for those who love him, and we see the continuance of this basic promise being fulfilled daily in our times because we have more benefits than the previous generations before us (under a Western World).

The earth isn't even close to being filled yet, not by a long shot, and the majority of the world's population gathers in to one central location under coastal cities. So, in short, the commandment is still in effect, and God's will is that the population reaches astronomical numbers.

Wait, does heaven have more stars, less stars, or the same amount of stars as our universe? Because I doubt the earth could hold as many humans as the amount of stars in the universe.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#10sthaterPosted 8/28/2011 5:35:03 PM

What do you mean by "need"?

IIRC jews are supposed are supposed to have at least one son and daughter.
---
http://freeblago.forumotion.com/
If you come show some courtesy, some sympathy, and some taste.