This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians, If we go to heaven are we the same person?

#11fudrickPosted 8/28/2011 6:53:00 PM
mystic belmont posted...
Does it matter if I go to heaven if I don't remember what I learned while on Earth?

Perhaps more pertinent is this question: why does earth matter at all if you remember nothing from your time on earth and what you do on earth also has no effect on where you go in the afterlife?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#12CIA911Posted 8/28/2011 6:53:18 PM
If I don't remember who I am or my memories, am I the same person? Does it matter if I go to heaven if I don't remember what I learned while on Earth?

Is...what you learned on Earth going to...mean anything when you're in Heaven ? You learned how to feel pain on earth. You learned how to sin on earth. You learned how to be disappointed on earth. You learned how to cry on earth. This things will not exist anymore. I can't get too specific into what Heaven will be like since no one actually knows but...I mean I think it's very likely whatever you learned here will not be needed there.
---
Job 38:4 - Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
#13SuibomPosted 8/28/2011 6:55:26 PM
CIA, what scripture are you talking about that refers to this "divine amnesia" you're talking about?

And at what point in a Christian's life do you believe they come down with a case of it?
---
If honor be your clothing, the suit will last a lifetime; but if clothing be your honor, it will soon be worn threadbare.~ William Arnot
#14CIA911Posted 8/28/2011 6:58:13 PM
why does earth matter at all if you remember nothing from your time on earth and what you do on earth also has no effect on where you go in the afterlife?

Earth...doesn't matter. It didn't need to exist, just like a rainbow didn't need to exist. Oxygen didn't need to exist either...God could have made it so we didn't need it in order to live. God could have just created none of the people who he was never going to save and just had a Heaven for some people. Why does anything exist ? Without God sitting down for an interview...I don't think any answers we can possibly think of to these questions are going to provide any satisfaction.
---
Job 38:4 - Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
#15CIA911Posted 8/28/2011 7:02:40 PM(edited)
CIA, what scripture are you talking about that refers to this "divine amnesia" you're talking about?

Umm there's 2 verses that specifically mention it, one from Isaiah and one from Revelation. It's on the last page of the "Christians, what if I told you that...: topic.

And at what point in a Christian's life do you believe they come down with a case of it?

We know that it will happen on the last day of existence, when the Christians are brought up into Heaven. They will remember everything until they actually have their bodies changed and enter Heaven. And then this earth, and all of the things about it, are over, as God will destroy the universe with fire.

---
#16fudrickPosted 8/28/2011 7:03:30 PM
CIA911 posted...
Earth...doesn't matter. It didn't need to exist, just like a rainbow didn't need to exist. Oxygen didn't need to exist either...God could have made it so we didn't need it in order to live. God could have just created none of the people who he was never going to save and just had a Heaven for some people. Why does anything exist ? Without God sitting down for an interview...I don't think any answers we can possibly think of to these questions are going to provide any satisfaction.

If this life is all we have, then obviously this life/universe/earth/whatever means everything. But if we have an eternal afterlife, especially one in which we don't even remember our first life, this life is literally just an infinitely short, less pleasant portion of our total life that gives us nothing, not even memories or knowledge or anything like that. Why would god feel the need to create this?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#17ArcticMtnWolfPosted 8/28/2011 9:01:49 PM
I don't think we lose our memories. There are verses that also talk about God not remembering our sins. But that doesn't really mean that God doesn't know these things happened; He knows everything. It is just that they do not come into play; He does not count our sins against us. It is as though they never happened. So too, I think that we remember, but the bad things we've experienced in this life no longer have the power to harm us.

What we do in this life definitely does influence the outcome in the next, but once it is done, it is done. I have heard Christians speak of the "weight of glory," that the presence of God outshines all of this. Everything that has happened in this life goes dim, as though it were merely a ghost, in the presence of the Absolute Reality. I think that is the sort of thing that will happen in heaven.
---
RPG Cliches #13. The Higher The Hair, The Closer To God (Cloud Rule)
The more outrageous his hairstyle, the more important a male character is to the story.
#18SuibomPosted 8/29/2011 6:36:29 AM
CIA, can you explain how you got "forget who you were" from Isaiah 65:17?

Doesn't the simplest, plainest reading just say that the old Earth and Heaven won't be remembered, and not this "divine amnesia" you've read into it?

Doesn't the rest of Isaiah 65 go on to contrast what this new Earth is to be like against the old one that will be forgotten? Like a room in a home that's been completely redecorated, causing the inhabitant of it to forget how it used to look?

Where in this comparison do you see Isaiah describing what you say he is?

Do you hang your "divine amnesia" doctrine solely on this one Scripture?

And in Revelation 21, after the Earth has been remade, you read of God wiping away the tears of those there. Where in that do you read anything of "divine amnesia"? The act of wiping away tears implies nothing about amnesia. It does imply that things are far better than they were before.
---
If honor be your clothing, the suit will last a lifetime; but if clothing be your honor, it will soon be worn threadbare.~ William Arnot
#19RetrotasticPosted 8/29/2011 9:04:09 AM
The same person but glorified in the image of the living Christ or something like that.