This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Eternal Life

#1TheRealJiraiyaPosted 8/28/2011 8:22:04 PM
Hello :)

Today was a relatively uneventful day, as far as days go. I talked to my girlfriend for a few hours and then I spent time with my twin sister. It was enjoyable, and although it was one of the least interesting days of my life, I know that I could relive this schedule every day for eternity and never, ever get bored or stop being happy. I love these two individuals, and there is no doubt in my mind time spent with them will always be interesting.

It is happy to spend time with people you love. This happiness doesnt rot with time, the pleasantness that comes from being in the presence of someone you love is eternal. If I love God and my life after this one is an eternity of spending time with him, ESPECIALLY given that He is an infinite being with infinite ability and imagination who has made the next life with the intent of ensuring it keeps me happy for an eternity, I have to object to the notion that I would get bored.

I think this is kind of a peculiar objection. Setting aside that it ignores the fact that an omnipotent omniscient God can do a good job of creating a world that would be interesting for eternity if he felt like it, people forget that there is a happiness in the simple pleasure of being in the company of someone you enjoy, and who enjoys you. When that being is God, there is an infinite amount of exploration and understanding to be gained. So whats boring?
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#2LinkFanaticPosted 8/29/2011 12:01:04 AM
I can accept that heaven might not be boring. But desirable is a different story.
---
SSJ Gotenks is santa clause, because he can fly around the planet in one night. - ShaolinAced
#3sthaterPosted 8/29/2011 12:18:12 AM

From: TheRealJiraiya | Posted: 8/28/2011 7:22:04 PM | #001
I know that I could relive this schedule every day for eternity and never, ever get bored or stop being happy. I love these two individuals, and there is no doubt in my mind time spent with them will always be interesting.

Eh I think this kind of comes down to your own personality. I mean some people do love and thrive with routine. Some don't. I am actually a bit on the routine side myself. Personally I don't like the idea of a "perfect" world. That's primarily because a lot of what I like is trying to wrestle with a problem and imperfection. If everything is truly perfect than I can't exactly have the pleasure of repairing or innovating because it's already perfect. Anything I do would only serve to mar the perfection. It actually seems a bit depressing to me. I mean if I went out fishing and just knew for a fact that I would catch the big one every single time then it wouldn't really be very much fun. Part of the fun is that I don't know what's going to happen until I'm right there at the very moment.
---
http://freeblago.forumotion.com/
If you come show some courtesy, some sympathy, and some taste.
#4TheRealJiraiya(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 12:19:50 AM
sthater posted...
From: TheRealJiraiya | Posted: 8/28/2011 7:22:04 PM | #001
I know that I could relive this schedule every day for eternity and never, ever get bored or stop being happy. I love these two individuals, and there is no doubt in my mind time spent with them will always be interesting.
Eh I think this kind of comes down to your own personality. I mean some people do love and thrive with routine. Some don't. I am actually a bit on the routine side myself. Personally I don't like the idea of a "perfect" world. That's primarily because a lot of what I like is trying to wrestle with a problem and imperfection. If everything is truly perfect than I can't exactly have the pleasure of repairing or innovating because it's already perfect. Anything I do would only serve to mar the perfection. It actually seems a bit depressing to me. I mean if I went out fishing and just knew for a fact that I would catch the big one every single time then it wouldn't really be very much fun. Part of the fun is that I don't know what's going to happen until I'm right there at the very moment.

I would argue your objections to a perfect world are imperfections, and that we dont really understand what it means for a world to be perfect.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#5sthaterPosted 8/29/2011 12:25:53 AM

From: TheRealJiraiya | Posted: 8/28/2011 11:19:50 PM | #004
I would argue your objections to a perfect world are imperfections, and that we dont really understand what it means for a world to be perfect.

And I would argue that we all have our own different ideas of what constitutes perfection. Therefore what's pleasurable is very often subjective. One persons pain is another's fun.
---
#6TheRealJiraiya(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 12:30:15 AM
sthater posted...
From: TheRealJiraiya | Posted: 8/28/2011 11:19:50 PM | #004
And I would argue that we all have our own different ideas of what constitutes perfection. Therefore what's pleasurable is very often subjective. One persons pain is another's fun.

Yet here on earth, there are all kinds of different pleasure for all kinds of different interpretations of pleasurable. Why would the afterlife be different in that regard?
---
#7sthaterPosted 8/29/2011 12:32:17 AM

From: TheRealJiraiya | Posted: 8/28/2011 11:30:15 PM | #006
Yet here on earth, there are all kinds of different pleasure for all kinds of different interpretations of pleasurable. Why would the afterlife be different in that regard?

So what everyone has their own personalized area then? Because I seriously doubt that a man from Texas like yourself would find my idea of heaven very nice ;)
---
#8RetrotasticPosted 8/29/2011 3:25:37 AM
I doubt we will get an infinite amount of the type life we have right now as that would probably send you insane after so many trillions of years.
#9ForsakenHermitPosted 8/29/2011 2:27:41 PM
I don't really feel any need to get reincarnated, This life has provided enough, of an earthly existence for me.
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the PSP2 or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#10arian487Posted 8/29/2011 7:33:54 PM

Hello :)

Today was a relatively uneventful day, as far as days go. I talked to my girlfriend for a few hours and then I spent time with my twin sister. It was enjoyable, and although it was one of the least interesting days of my life, I know that I could relive this schedule every day for eternity and never, ever get bored or stop being happy. I love these two individuals, and there is no doubt in my mind time spent with them will always be interesting.

It is happy to spend time with people you love. This happiness doesnt rot with time, the pleasantness that comes from being in the presence of someone you love is eternal. If I love God and my life after this one is an eternity of spending time with him, ESPECIALLY given that He is an infinite being with infinite ability and imagination who has made the next life with the intent of ensuring it keeps me happy for an eternity, I have to object to the notion that I would get bored.

I think this is kind of a peculiar objection. Setting aside that it ignores the fact that an omnipotent omniscient God can do a good job of creating a world that would be interesting for eternity if he felt like it, people forget that there is a happiness in the simple pleasure of being in the company of someone you enjoy, and who enjoys you. When that being is God, there is an infinite amount of exploration and understanding to be gained. So whats boring?

There is also the displeasure of spending eternity without the ones I love. Whether or not God in all his great power makes a perfectly awesome world where I'll be happy to spend time with him is irrelevant to me. Unless my memory is wiped of the ones I've lost, I won't be happy. For spending eternity in a place that is absent of the ones I love is a kind of hell all on its own.
---
x - (x^3 / 3!) + (x^5 / 5!) - (x^7 / 7!) + ... = sinx
4(1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ...) = PI