This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do *YOU* know if God exists?

#1lorddrago88Posted 8/29/2011 6:47:24 AM

Note that the Bible is not evidence of God's existence as anyone could have written it and there is no way to show that God actually wrote in in any form. For all you know, a invisible pink unicorn wrote it. You must first prove that God exists before proving it's his word.

OTHER than being told that God exists...
====================================
Have you seen God? If so, can you prove this?

Have you heard God? If so, can you prove this?

Have you touched God? If so, can you prove this?

(Literally, not symbolically).

Assuming the answer to those things is no or you can't prove it, do you have a way to prove YOU know God exists? If so, can you show me and everyone else this method/ritual/instructions?
Should we do this, would every one of us also be shown that God exists regardless of what we believe?
=======================================

If so far you have answered no to nearly every question, that would mean *YOU* essentially have no way of proving to me that God exists other than:

- Your Faith.
- Someone told you.

Alright, so someone told you God is real? Do you think they are telling the truth? If so, can they go through this topic without saying no to any question I asked in bold? I can safely assume they will say no at one point and more than likely say no to most, if not all of, the questions.

So that leaves us with:

- Your Faith.

Let me ask you this then: if I believe something to be true, does that make it true? If you said no, then why would anyone then believe God to exist when there is no evidence to show he does in fact exist? If my faith is so strong that a purple dragon that breaths cool-aid is going to devour you, does it make it true regardless of my faith? The point is that your faith, regardless of how intense or firm it is, is not evidence that God exists.

If you have answered no to nearly all of the questions and you have reached this point of the topic, there is only one answer left: God does not exist. If you feel that through this process I made some sort of trick or my logic is flawed, feel free to question it.
---
Master of the Logical Fallacies-
-August 22, 2011-
#2RedEricPosted 8/29/2011 6:55:59 AM
If you have answered no to nearly all of the questions and you have reached this point of the topic, there is only one answer left: God does not exist. If you feel that through this process I made some sort of trick or my logic is flawed, feel free to question it.

You are left with "You cant prove god exists".
This is a long way from a definitive "god does no exist"
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
#3OnceInALifeTimePosted 8/29/2011 7:03:34 AM
We've had this discussion on here many a time, and I posted a similar topic a few months back, and I can tell you now that you're going to only get a handful of unfulfilling answers that basically say "we can't prove it, but I have faith and it's what I believe".

However I don't agree with your notion that not being able to prove the existence of god means god doesn't exist. A better way of putting it would be "lack of evidence for god means lack of reason to believe".
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#4lorddrago88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 7:31:56 AM(edited)
RedEric posted...

Doesn't it sound a little ridiculous for me to then say "well, you can't dis-prove that a purple dragon that breaths cool-aid is going to devour you!"?

If a religion demands I believe in their God yet they can't prove it, it would come down to "you can't prove God exists". However, if we then use Occam's Razor to determine which answer is correct along with the fact that the burden of proof is on that religion to prove God exists since proving a negative is impossible AND God by definition would have no issues proving his own existence, God not existing is the correct answer.

OnceInALifeTime posted...
We've had this discussion on here many a time, and I posted a similar topic a few months back, and I can tell you now that you're going to only get a handful of unfulfilling answers that basically say "we can't prove it, but I have faith and it's what I believe".

- And belief is not proof that a God exists. People that say that are essentially admitting they are in denial.

However I don't agree with your notion that not being able to prove the existence of god means god doesn't exist. A better way of putting it would be "lack of evidence for god means lack of reason to believe".

Occam's Razor, God could easily prove his existence, burden of proof on Christianity. Lack of reason to believe is for all intents and purposes the same as God not existing as the religion REQUIRES you to believe. Telling a christian that you don't believe in God is the same as telling them God doesn't exist.

---
-August 22, 2011-
#5FlashOfLightPosted 8/29/2011 9:05:24 AM
Your reasoning contradicts the entire social structure on which society depends.

Why do any of us need ID's in the form of either paper or digital form to make us be valid for any number of things from being accepted into a job, to a simple thing as being allowed to post on a website via registration? Why are ANY documents needed? Why doesn't everyone just take everyone's word for it on everything?

You try to dismiss immediately the proof of a God one would believe in by citing the book which is the document in which such questions are addressed.

I should try out this method of no authoritative document needed as proof any time I go to pay my cable bill or when I try to order anything online.

This is similar to topics that feature the question "How can you prove to me who you are?" that play on petty games that dismiss any documentation as being valid to prove anything.
---
I'm on the internet, I'm not real!
#6TheRealJiraiyaPosted 8/29/2011 9:16:04 AM
Personal experience is legitimate evidence for the person who experienced it. They dont have to be able to prove it to you and, in fact, they cant. Its also possible for them to know and still be unable to prove their knowledge, right?

Not that I am in that position, but the position is a logically possible one.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#7RedEricPosted 8/29/2011 9:20:57 AM
lorddrago88 posted...
RedEric posted...

Doesn't it sound a little ridiculous for me to then say "well, you can't dis-prove that a purple dragon that breaths cool-aid is going to devour you!"?

It does, but you know what, I can't actually prove it isn't going to happen.

If a religion demands I believe in their God yet they can't prove it, it would come down to "you can't prove God exists". However, if we then use Occam's Razor to determine which answer is correct along with the fact that the burden of proof is on that religion to prove God exists since proving a negative is impossible AND God by definition would have no issues proving his own existence, God not existing is the correct answer.

While they fail to prove their argument it does not prove the opposite.
There is no problem saying that they have failed to prove their case thus I don't believe a word of it. In that case I have nothing to prove, the only assertion I have made is that they have failed Do I think that there is no god? Sure I do, every argument for such a being has failed, yet it is not proof of anything.
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
#8lorddrago88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 9:24:30 AM
FlashOfLight posted...

Why do any of us need ID's in the form of either paper or digital form to make us be valid for any number of things from being accepted into a job, to a simple thing as being allowed to post on a website via registration? Why are ANY documents needed? Why doesn't everyone just take everyone's word for it on everything?

- Because people lie and cheat.

You try to dismiss immediately the proof of a God one would believe in by citing the book which is the document in which such questions are addressed.

- The Bible is not proof in any sense of the word. You can not prove that God wrote it or that it belongs to God in any sense without first proving he exists.

This is similar to topics that feature the question "How can you prove to me who you are?" that play on petty games that dismiss any documentation as being valid to prove anything.

- Nice agenda you have there. I figured you had no way to prove that God exists.
---
-August 22, 2011-
#9lorddrago88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 9:26:49 AM
RedEric posted...

While they fail to prove their argument it does not prove the opposite.

- For all intents and purposes, it does. In this particular instance, lack of evidence of such an important figure IS evidence of God not existing.
---
-August 22, 2011-
#10kozlo100Posted 8/29/2011 9:26:56 AM
Personal experience is legitimate evidence for the person who experienced it. They dont have to be able to prove it to you and, in fact, they cant. Its also possible for them to know and still be unable to prove their knowledge, right?

This is an important point in discussions like this, and is almost always overlooked. I don't believe in gods, but I would say that the lions share of experiences that make me who I am are impossible for me to prove.

It is true that me simply claiming to have had those experiences isn't in any way sufficient for you to believe they happened. Though likewise, my inability to prove them to you is not in any way sufficient for me to believe they didn't happen.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick