This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians: Are there multiple ways into heaven?

#1DoGCyNPosted 8/29/2011 1:45:17 PM
Topic.

Also... Do good works get you into heaven?
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#2Starwing6Posted 8/29/2011 2:15:31 PM
No to both.

Jesus said in John 14:6 that He is the way, the truth, and the life and that no man comes to the Father but by Him.

Secondly, Good works do not earn you salvation, since it is by grace through faith that people are initially saved(Ephesians 2:8-10). However, if someone genuinely gets saved, their faith will start producing good works as well as the fruit of the Holy Spirit in their life listed in Galatians 5:22-23 and they will also want to avoid anything that is displeasing to God and remain faithful to Jesus until the end. In fact, if one's faith doesn't end up producing good works, then their faith is useless.

It's sort of like getting a job. If you apply for the job and meet the requirements(in this case you're "applying" to God for salvation, the requirements being repenting of your sins and placing a submissive, obedient faith in the Lord Jesus Christ), and the boss decides to hire you(an example of grace, and God saves anyone who comes to Him in genuine repentance), then you have the job. You were hired partially because you met the conditions and because the boss had grace on you and hired you. However, once you're hired, the boss expects you to obey him and company policies, do your job, and be productive for the company(in the same way, when God saves someone, He expects them to obey Him and to serve Him and to do their best to bring others to Jesus Christ). If you do your job well and don't displease the boss, then you(ideally, at least as far as earthly jobs are concerned) will keep your job. However, if you don't do your job, sooner or later your boss will run out of patience with you and fire you, and the Bible says that those who don't bear good fruit for the Kingdom are cut down from the vine(Jesus is the vine) by God and thrown into the fire(Hell).
---
Are you a good person? Are you ready to face a Holy God?
http://www.NeedGod.com/
#3CIA911Posted 8/29/2011 3:49:17 PM(edited)
Not that I know of. God baptizes you in the Holy Spirit (Not to be confused with lending someone the Holy Spirit to do his will), and that guarantees that they will be in Heaven. No one has ever been saved any other way, nor is it possible. Also, our good works contribute to our Salvation just as much as our bad works do. That's not to say someones work did not allow some to be in Heaven, but that was Christ's work.

---
Job 38:4 - Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
#4Burning_WolfXPosted 8/29/2011 6:18:48 PM
Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Him, as has been noted. However, how each and every one of us comes to Him is different. For some, we are born into the faith. For others, we convert as young adults. Some people may even make a deathbed conversion, and still others needed to wait for Christ to bring them out of Hades when He was crucified.
---
Proud member of the Valiant Brawlers. Brawl code: 3050-9471-7656
Currently playing: Brawl, Okami
#5angryleghandPosted 8/29/2011 6:56:04 PM
There's the front door, and the back door. I've heard of people climbing through the window, but don't get caught if you do that. The garage is for delivery trucks only.
---
Consult your pineal gland?
#6Wu_ZonghaiPosted 8/30/2011 3:49:06 AM
There is only one way into heaven. Through God.
---
At night, the trolls crawl out from their bridges to dance under the pale moon.
#7RetrotasticPosted 8/30/2011 5:17:50 AM(edited)
Liberal Christians would say yes though if it was just a case of being generally good there would be a great deal of point being a Christian in the first place, unless you're in it for the social activity or peace of mind. Or perhaps they genuinely believe in it in which case they're either gullible or have profound knowledge of the truth.
#8WhereDidItGoPosted 8/30/2011 8:58:59 AM
Christ is the mediator and the way to salvation. I do believe however that mercy can be shown to those who, through no fault of their own, are unaware of the Gospel of Christ or his Church and strive to do God's will to the best of their capabilities, being moved by grace and the guidance of their conscience.

As for the question on works, works alone will not get you into Heaven, but I also think faith alone won't either. I love the quote by Lewis that the debate between faith and works is like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most important. Faith and charity go together as James points out, even going so far as to say that faith without works is dead. Christ himself, in talking about the final judgement, mentions the separation of the people based on their charity and good works, like a shepherd separating the sheep from the goats.
---
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. "
St. Francis of Assisi
#9JonWood007Posted 8/30/2011 6:40:12 PM
First of all, I think Jesus is the only way, but there are multiple ways to Jesus, so to speak. Just because you dont actively believe in Jesus as a personal savior in a certain way doesnt necessarily mean he doesnt forgive you IMO. If that makes any sense.

As for good works...IMO, if you rely on good works to get you into heaven, it undermine's salvation. If you need good works, then that renders Jesus' sacrifice as pointless. It's a very complex issue, and honestly, this point to an extreme could mean you can be a horrible, horrible person, but if you're saved, you can still do whatever you want. So I dunno if God takes it that far. As far as I'm concerned, God knows what to do better than we do, but I think Jesus is a lot more forgiving than a lot of CHristians give him credit for. Idk, I think all people, even those who are saved, have sin issues they struggle to deal with. So it's a fine line, I dunno where to draw it, God would know better than me.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: Celeron 900 | 3 GB DDR2 | GMA 4500m | 250 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#10CIA911Posted 8/30/2011 7:57:18 PM(edited)
but if you're saved, you can still do whatever you want.

The thing is though, once you are saved, the only thing you will want to do is follow God's commandments. You will despise sin. A saved person isn't going to sin and sin and sin and some things like blaspheming God are impossible. They will strive as hard as possible to not sin and will pray constantly for the strength not to sin. They still live in sinful bodies so it is impossible to stop sinning completely until they get their perfect glorified bodies which cannot sin, but before that, eventually...they will eliminate probably 90% of the sins in their life.

---
Job 38:4 - Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.