This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is religious reconstruction a bad idea?

#1TheWitheredRosePosted 8/29/2011 5:51:56 PM
Discuss.
---
Currently playing: Hoard (PS3 download), Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (PS3), Mortal Kombat (PS3), and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3).
#2Hustle KongPosted 8/29/2011 5:55:13 PM
I don't think it is. I dislike dishonesty though, and a lot of reconstructionists I know and have read seem to think of it in sort of a dishonest way.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3ElderMisanthropyPosted 8/29/2011 5:59:21 PM
It's a bit of a mixed bag. I'd say the basis for most religions are "bad ideas" in the first place, so any sort of reconstruction seems futile, for the most part.
---
Listen, you're a creature of the night. You don't need to worry about phonics.
#4fudrickPosted 8/29/2011 6:02:34 PM
Perhaps you could be more specific.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#5Burning_WolfXPosted 8/29/2011 6:24:50 PM
To be honest, if a religion is dead, then it should stay dead. Reconstructing and reviving a dead religion just means creating a distorted zombie of it.
---
Proud member of the Valiant Brawlers. Brawl code: 3050-9471-7656
Currently playing: Brawl, Okami
#6kozlo100Posted 8/29/2011 9:22:35 PM
I think I'm going to double up on the good old "What HK said" with the possibility of a misquote.

Bringing back a mostly forgotten religion is not a bad thing. It's a worthwhile endeavor in my opinion.

Making up a religion and positing it in place of an irrecoverably forgotten religion is a very bad thing in my opinion. I do believe the Illustrious Hustle of Kong once admonished a claimed practitioner of the old Norse religions, known for changing his beliefs more often than his clothes, for claiming his newfound religion was the same as that the ancient folks practiced. This was perhaps the most properly placed admonishment I've ever witnessed.

So, what HK said here, and there, with apologies if I'm misremembering.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#7fudrickPosted 8/29/2011 9:25:07 PM
kozlo100 posted...
I think I'm going to double up on the good old "What HK said" with the possibility of a misquote.

It seems like you two should just make your signatures "what Hustle Kong said." and "What kozlo said." and then just post without entering a message whenever you agree, lol.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#8sthaterPosted 8/29/2011 11:34:58 PM(edited)
Seems kind of pointless tbqh. You are almost certainly never getting back to what it originally was. In fact I'd be willing to bet that if the original practitioners saw you they might be a little pissed off at seeing their religion effectively bastardized.
---
http://freeblago.forumotion.com/
If you come show some courtesy, some sympathy, and some taste.
#9Hustle KongPosted 8/30/2011 3:49:06 AM
I believe you're remembering correctly, kozlo. And thanks. Almost makes me consider letting myself read his posts again
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#10fudrickPosted 8/30/2011 5:01:58 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
I believe you're remembering correctly, kozlo. And thanks. Almost makes me consider letting myself read his posts again

I think that if you found it necessary to do so in the past, based on his recent activity there's no reason to reconsider your decision.
---
Best FCs: