This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why should I believe in God?

#1lorddrago88Posted 8/30/2011 8:14:10 AM
Christian god.

- I see no evidence to suggest he exists. If he does exists, he clearly does everything in his power to hide himself.

- The Bible is full of contradictions. I refuse it to be the word of God because of all the issues it has. (NOTE: if you are going to say "what contradictions" I'm not finding you verses. Find them yourself and present them to me. Pick ones that are commonly argued about.)

- Again and again God resorts to slaughtering millions of humans. This alone is evidence that he isn't either omnipotent or omniscient and can't find another way.

- I have never heard a single decent argument from any theist to convince me that God exists. None. Zip. Zero.

- Even after doing my own research, the existence of Jesus is very questionable even as a historic figure. Interesting considering that, IIRC, this board believes that a historic Jesus is fact...

If you are going to enter this topic to say "oh but fine, DON'T BELIEVE BURN IN HELL ATHEIST SCUM!" then just stop because it's childish and you won't get a response out of me. However, if you think you can present me a decent argument to convince me that God does exist, I am at the very least willing to listen. I might debate, and I'm very opinionated, but if you have an argument beyond "u ned faith" or "he's all around u!!!111" then I'll respond. Keep in mind that I have many questions and failure to answer them fully is the same as not answering them at all in my mind.

So, I ask you: Why should I believe in God when nothing I have seen, read, or heard suggests to me he exists?
---
---If I suspect you have an agenda or have no intention of listening, I may not respond to your post. Deal with it.---
#2EisenheimPosted 8/30/2011 8:22:11 AM
I'm just wondering what your objective is with these two most recent topics of yours; are you trying to justify becoming an atheist or even the strong atheist position? If you feel that strongly then just decide to become an atheist or even a strong atheist. It's your life, trust your instincts (as long as they really are yours). I guess I don't see the dilemma here, based on all I've heard you say so far.
---
"Knowledge is a liability if you don't have enough to make it a strength." ~ benjjjamin
#3KNessJMPosted 8/30/2011 8:28:29 AM
- The Bible is full of contradictions. I refuse it to be the word of God because of all the issues it has. (NOTE: if you are going to say "what contradictions" I'm not finding you verses. Find them yourself and present them to me. Pick ones that are commonly argued about.)

I'm not disagreeing with your views, but this is just silly. If someone thinks that the Bible doesn't have any inconsistencies, you...want them to show you the inconsistencies?
---
Quote of the Week: "Sleep is a conspiracy."
#4lorddrago88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2011 8:30:20 AM
Eisenheim posted...
I'm just wondering what your objective is with these two most recent topics of yours; are you trying to justify becoming an atheist or even the strong atheist position?

-Nope. For once, I want an honest discussion without fallacies from the side claiming that God exists.

If you feel that strongly then just decide to become an atheist or even a strong atheist. It's your life, trust your instincts (as long as they really are yours). I guess I don't see the dilemma here, based on all I've heard you say so far.

- It has nothing to do with that. Anyways, going off topic.
---
---If I suspect you have an agenda or have no intention of listening, I may not respond to your post. Deal with it.---
#5lorddrago88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2011 8:31:28 AM
KNessJM posted...

I'm not disagreeing with your views, but this is just silly. If someone thinks that the Bible doesn't have any inconsistencies, you...want them to show you the inconsistencies?

- No, I want them to present the ones commonly argued about. If they are they in the dark about it then they obviously haven't had their views challenged enough and I may not want to talk about it with them.
---
#6actarusPosted 8/30/2011 8:58:44 AM(edited)
- I see no evidence to suggest he exists. If he does exists, he clearly does everything in his power to hide himself.

Correct; because the harsher punishment against rebels like you.
If God talks to you have you no excuse.

Why don't you pick ONE contradiction then can I destroy your argument.
Try to find a good one.

- Again and again God resorts to slaughtering millions of humans. This alone is evidence that he isn't either omnipotent or omniscient and can't find another way.

Again and again humankind keeps rebelling even if He sent His Son to save.

- I have never heard a single decent argument from any theist to convince me that God exists. None. Zip. Zero.

Because you don't want to belief refuse you to accept the First Law of Thermodynamics.
You rather belief: from nothing can make something and that immeasurable energy without mass is normal.

- Even after doing my own research, the existence of Jesus is very questionable even as a historic figure. Interesting considering that, IIRC, this board believes that a historic Jesus is fact...

Tell this to the prosecuted saints.
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#7EisenheimPosted 8/30/2011 8:59:33 AM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/page/refuting-the-bible
---
"Knowledge is a liability if you don't have enough to make it a strength." ~ benjjjamin
#8actarusPosted 8/30/2011 9:03:19 AM
http://mbbc.us/creation/inquiry/god_exists.htm
---
#9lorddrago88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2011 9:04:08 AM
actarus posted...

Correct; because the harsher punishment against rebels like you.
If God talks to you have you no excuse.

- I would not rebel if I knew without a doubt that God existed. I might question his methods in the Bible though.

Why don't you pick ONE contradiction then can I destroy your argument.
Try to find a good one.

- Because I'm not trying to convince myself. That's YOUR job.

Again and again humankind keeps rebelling even if He sent His Son to save.

- I have no reason to rebel against a REAL God.

Because you don't want to belief refuse you to accept the First Law of Thermodynamics.
You rather belief: from nothing can make something and that immeasurable energy without mass is normal.

- What the hell did you just say?

Tell this to the prosecuted saints.

-What saints?
---
#10actarusPosted 8/30/2011 9:04:21 AM
Eisenheim posted...
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/page/refuting-the-bible

Pick One!
---