This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've finally consecrated a sort of "secretive" altar in my room.

#1TheWitheredRosePosted 8/31/2011 3:08:13 AM
It's difficult to do so when surrounded by so many who wouldn't ever understand my practice. But I figured since I had candles and incense and useful tools, why not find a very safe and sacred place to put them for ritual use?

This is, of course, just generalized spiritual talk. Has anyone ever had problems with religious or spiritual practices in the home, because the rest of the family did not hold the same beliefs? I don't like to think that my religion is the only one without an established church where I could go and openly practice.
---
Currently playing: Hoard (PS3 download), Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (PS3), Mortal Kombat (PS3), and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3).
#2RetrotasticPosted 8/31/2011 3:37:46 AM
A good thing to do is not have it look like anything obviously religious so it could pass as a bit of decoration. That way it will be secretive but in plain sight.
#3ElderMisanthropyPosted 8/31/2011 3:38:40 AM
My sacrifices to Marduk, Slayer of Tiamat, Son of Ea made Thanksgivings a bit awkward. But then I moved out and all my problems were solved.

So, a quick fix to anyone attempting to avoid persecution by their parents:

Turn 18
Be an adult

If parents are intolerant, hiding your beliefs and practices is a simple thing.
---
Listen, you're a creature of the night. You don't need to worry about phonics.
#4TheWitheredRose(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 3:52:37 AM
My mother always figured it was all part of my very spiritual decorating, like my rosewood dragons and dreamcatchers. Obtaining those items wasn't so much of a hassle, but setting up the altar with symbols of the deities and ritual tools with specific placement needed to be done in secrecy only because the setup is still questionable.

I think that those still living with the rest of their family, adult or otherwise, will still deal with this issue. It will still be questioned, and quite often frowned upon or scorned.

I'm 21, and hoping to move out very soon. Jobs are hard to find and I'm not getting much help in getting to college or getting a license. Anything that would be of any use.

It sucks.
---
Currently playing: Hoard (PS3 download), Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (PS3), Mortal Kombat (PS3), and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3).
#5TheWitheredRose(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 4:00:10 AM
I haven't slept, and I used the word "still" far too many times in that post...
---
#6RetrotasticPosted 8/31/2011 4:01:01 AM
If your family is devoutly Christian (and American) they will see this kind of thing as horribly Satanic so I'd wait until you leave home before getting serious with it.
#7ElderMisanthropyPosted 8/31/2011 4:01:43 AM
Finding some roommates wouldn't hurt. Getting a few friends together and deciding to split rent 3 or 4 ways is a great way to overcome the initial difficulties of getting out of the house. One of them can help you get a license and job, as well.

But it's important to do these things eventually, otherwise one may end up stuck with their parents long after they've overstayed their welcome. If your mom doesn't like your incense and peppermints, that's fine. I'd use it as further fuel in fleeing the nest.
---
Listen, you're a creature of the night. You don't need to worry about phonics.
#8TheWitheredRose(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 4:10:12 AM
I've tried rooming with friends. Well, tried asking at least. Either they don't have jobs because of college plans, or they already have the roommates they need for now. But the job hunt is still on. There has to be something.
---
#9RetrotasticPosted 8/31/2011 4:14:50 AM
This would make for a good idol if this is Wicca we're talking about.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Kk6FjIxuco8/TQFiLAKPe5I/AAAAAAAAF48/9Zp-GLFh8C8/s1600/marble-Artemis.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ju7x9E18Ius/S-wBoJeowkI/AAAAAAAADxU/j1LhfVX1P1Y/s1600/diana.jpg

That represents the Diana goddess of the Moon and Artemis god of wilderness and hunting. They will just like an ornament to anyone who doesn't know better.
#10TheWitheredRose(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 4:16:36 AM
Retrotastic posted...
This would make for a good idol if this is Wicca we're talking about.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Kk6FjIxuco8/TQFiLAKPe5I/AAAAAAAAF48/9Zp-GLFh8C8/s1600/marble-Artemis.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ju7x9E18Ius/S-wBoJeowkI/AAAAAAAADxU/j1LhfVX1P1Y/s1600/diana.jpg

That represents the Diana goddess of the Moon and Artemis god of wilderness and hunting. They will just like an ornament to anyone who doesn't know better.

I would love to have something like that, whether I had the altar or not.
---