This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've finally consecrated a sort of "secretive" altar in my room.

#21RetrotasticPosted 8/31/2011 11:01:12 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#22RetrotasticPosted 8/31/2011 11:16:32 AM(edited)
Christianity may have in fact been an esoteric pagan Mystery religion much like the cult of Mithras but adapted to fit into Jewish mythology. There examples of Christ like gods who die and are restored to life in the pagan stories. There was for example Osiris from ancient Egypt who may have set the trend but they also occur in the other parts of the world such as the Americas. They may have been inspired by the changing of the seasons form summer, autumn, winter and then spring. Or they were tied into the rebirth of the Sun each morning after it apparently dies at nightfall. Here's an example of a Native American Resurrection myth.

"Rabbit Boy - White River Sioux
A rabbit plays ball with a blood clot he finds lying around. The constant movement creates a little boy, who grows up with the rabbits. Eventually the rabbits tell him that he's a human and ought to go and live with humans. He goes off to a human village - the only one in existence at that time - and a beautiful girl falls in love with him. Meanwhile he has a vision of wrestling with the Sun. The villagers want Rabbit Boy to marry the girl, but then the evil trickster Iktome turns some of them against him. They tie him up and butcher him and put his meat in a pot. But a storm comes and Rabbit Boy sings his death song to the Sun and is resurrected. Iktome tries the same thing and dies.

This is a tale about human beings stemming from nature but having the potential to ascend to spirit, represented by the Sun. It is also about jealousy, trickery and immortality. The myth may have been influenced by the Christian myth, but the similarity may stem from the collective unconscious. There are also similarities between Rabbit Boy and the Egyptian Osiris, and between Iktome and Osiris' murderer, Seth. In Native American myths, Iktome is generally a rather nastier trickster than Coyote."

ElderMisanthropy posted...
TheWitheredRose posted...
Wiccans believe that all gods are the same person, He or She just has different manifestations. One god, many names. There is one God and one Goddess, both born from just one genderless Ultimate Deity.

So this Deity gave birth to a male and female deity, but they're actually both the same, and the Deity basically gave birth to two separate, joined versions of itself?

It could be something like the ancient Greek creation myth, if you take it metaphorically.

"In the beginning there was an empty darkness. The only thing in this void was Nyx, a bird with black wings. With the wind she laid a golden egg and for ages she sat upon this egg. Finally life began to stir in the egg and out of it rose Eros, the god of love. One half of the shell rose into the air and became the sky and the other became the Earth. Eros named the sky Uranus and the Earth he named Gaia. Then Eros made them fall in love. "

So the the universe comes into being from the interaction of the a God and a Goddess. Eros represents the sky so the order of the cosmos and Gaia represents all the life and living beings of the Earth. It was a popular form of creation myth among most ancient cultures, it wasn't very often that you had a male God on his own doing everything.
#23ElderMisanthropyPosted 8/31/2011 5:00:59 PM
TheWitheredRose posted...
In some text, yes, there is the belief of a higher entity than the God and Goddess. We really have a strong sense of balance in Wicca. Sort of a Yin and Yang idea. But it's not necessarily a good versus evil idea, but aspects of both femininity and masculinity - polar opposites that are, also, working together for balance.

The idea of this Ultimate Deity, usually called Dryghtyn (I think it's Celtic but I could be wrong), has been described as the idea of the "fifth element". Space, the universe, the cosmos - that is Dryghtyn. This is the idea that life came from the darkness, which is a creative force. Our year begins in the middle of Winter, and the day starts at midnight. So the aspect of darkness is just as important as the aspect of light.

Neat. My days start at midnight, too. Maybe I'm a closet wiccan.
---
Listen, you're a creature of the night. You don't need to worry about phonics.
#24TheWitheredRose(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 8:06:13 PM
ElderMisanthropy posted...
Neat. My days start at midnight, too. Maybe I'm a closet wiccan.

Well, I meant for everyone the day starts at midnight. 12am. I think the time of day is measured universally. I know that calendars are different sometimes.

I was pointing out that we acknowledge it, darkness being the origin of many things. I didn't mean that if it happens where you are, you're potentially Wiccan.

I think that makes sense.
---
Currently playing: Hoard (PS3 download), Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (PS3), Mortal Kombat (PS3), and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3).
#25ElderMisanthropyPosted 8/31/2011 8:12:19 PM
Well, I'm still going to pretend to be wiccan.

Hail to the guardians of the watchtower of the North.
---
Listen, you're a creature of the night. You don't need to worry about phonics.