This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians: Paradoxes in the Bible...do they make sense on -any- level?

#1DoGCyNPosted 8/31/2011 2:15:24 PM(edited)
Let's start with the Jesus Paradox. Both fully God and fully man.

(Take note: This is like putting 1 quart of water and 1 quart of diet coke in a 1 quart jar.)

The question is... Is it CRUCIAL ...that Jesus was both fully God AND fully man?
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#2OrangeWizardPosted 8/31/2011 2:17:08 PM
What paradoxes?

Jesus isn't fully God, what are you talking about?
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#3DoGCyN(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 2:19:08 PM
Are you saying He's only 50% (or some other percent) God?
---
#4cyclonekrusePosted 8/31/2011 2:20:07 PM
DoGCyN posted...
Let's start with the Jesus Paradox. Both fully God and fully man.

(Take note: This is like putting 1 quart of water and 1 quart of diet coke in a 1 quart jar.)

The question is... Is it CRUCIAL ...that Jesus was both fully God AND fully man?

Why is that a paradox? I have a bouncy ball that's fully spherical and fully red. There's no contradiction there.
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"
#5kozlo100Posted 8/31/2011 2:21:21 PM
Identify your target audience. Not every Christian denomination believes Jesus to be both fully God and fully man.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#6DoGCyN(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 2:32:38 PM(edited)
Why is that a paradox? I have a bouncy ball that's fully spherical and fully red. There's no contradiction there.

That isn't a comparable analogy.

Identify your target audience. Not every Christian denomination believes Jesus to be both fully God and fully man.

EDIT: Actually...I'm addressing all who call themselves Christians and who base their salvation on the Blood of Christ.
---
#7cyclonekrusePosted 8/31/2011 2:28:20 PM
DoGCyN posted...
That isn't a comparable analogy.

Why not? What properties of humanhood are incompatible with Godhood? What are the properties of God, for that matter?
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
#8DoGCyN(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2011 2:30:25 PM(edited)
Why not?

You took a shape and a color. Instead...take a shape and a shape. A circle can't be a square and a square can't be a circle (at the same time).
---
#9cyclonekrusePosted 8/31/2011 2:36:30 PM(edited)
DoGCyN posted...
You took a shape and a color. Instead...take a shape and a shape. A circle can't be a square and a square can't be a circle (at the same time).

But why are you assuming that humanhood and Godhood is an apples-to-apples thing (like comparing a shape to a shape)? Why is it not more similar to comparing apples and oranges (like comparing shape vs. color)?
---
#10fudrickPosted 8/31/2011 2:35:44 PM
cyclonekruse posted...
Why not? What properties of humanhood are incompatible with Godhood?

Well, as far as the common christian conception of god goes... imperfection, limited abilities and power, instincts, urges, drives, limited capacity for self control, etc.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious